Thread: Setting focus
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 02:21 AM

I also have Win XP SP2 w/ Word 2003 SP2.

On investigating my systems to identify what it might be about my set-up that is causing this "Word quirk", I have been monitoring the Processes tab in the Windows Task Manager while navigating the Data Explorer tree with the Up and Down arrow keys. (With MSWord not running at all).

I have noticed a (system) process named WINWORD.EXE that does not appear until I select a linked MSWord document. At which point this process starts and takes a chunk of CPU for a few seconds. When I move away from the linked document, the WINWORD.EXE process takes another chunk of CPU for a few more seconds. Subsequently, this process remains in memory until I exit UR, even if I never select another linked document.

I have confirmed this behaviour on both my Desktop and Laptop as well as a colleague's laptop running from a USB stick!

As you say:

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
UR itself would not activate Word unless explicitly editing a Word document item externally [Ctrl+J].
Have I found three quirky MSWord installations or is this normal UR behaviour that you do not consider to be "activating Word"?