View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 02:50 PM

Hi all.

So far, I have always found the documentation suitable for task. The biggest problem has been knowing what the program can do. Once you get a new concept identified, the documentation on how to use it exists and is normally good. Understanding what is possible is the real issue here.

Digging through the forums has brought forward new concepts and ideas of data structures, layouts and integration. Ideas that would one may not have had on ones own. Seeing how others have customized, searched and organised has often inspired me to further focus my tool, and lets be honest UR is 'my (your) tool'.

With such a super configurable program as UR is, the challenge is how do you capture all of it's power when so much is how you use it and configure it to view your data. My layout has sliding frames and an overall layout that would drive most people nuts. The searches don't make sense, except to me and the structure would drive most people crazy but to me it suits the way my mind works. I know almost everytime I have dreamed up a concept that would be useful to have, UR has it available once I search the help file for it. The real problem is 'How do you express ones creativity in a help file?'

I do not believe that UR will ever make it mainstream. It believe it is just not suitable for the masses (It requires work to really get the best out of it). Where it make PERFECT sense is for those of us who are trying to deal with and organise the zillion pieces of digital data that constantly bombard us on an daily basis. Don't get me wrong. I love UR and it is the ONLY tool that could cope with the amazingly complex game of intensive knowledge work and I promote it to anybody who I come into contact with who shows interest. (UR & GTD Rock!). What I have found thought is most people are not interested in being that organised.

Is that what you have found or is it just my associates?