View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 03:22 PM

This was just an example...

janrif--

I think his was just an example. So your suggestion would fit that one case, but is not a generic solution like he wants.

Let me give another example of why I would love the filtered tree: project tasks...

A project contains tasks, which might be 2-3 day items so are further broken down into sub-tasks, etc.

We want the *generic* ability to filter the items shown in a tree, WITHOUT losing the tree structure.

I might want to filter on just tasks that have estimated-time of < 2 hours. Or tasks that don't require hardware to complete. Or tasks that can be done at home. Etc. Etc. But I still want to see what Project and Parent Task the sub-tasks are underneath, which we lose with the current Search Item behavior.

The trick I would see is that a filtered tree view would also need the ability to show parent items, even if the parent item doesn't match the criteria. My preference would be to show in a different color or format (like dimmed), but still show them so we'd have the tree structure visible.