View Single Post
Old 10-28-2022, 01:34 PM

Synchronizing custom item templates between different DB files

Hi-

One of my applications of UR creates separate urd files, starting from a skeleton file and then doing "Save As." The database files contain 10-20 custom forms and item templates with many custom attributes. This system has evolved over the years, so some of the earlier urd files are different than the current skeleton file. The changes are mainly to the forms and attributes, but the collection of item templates has not changed much.

What is the recommended strategy for keeping the structure of these files in sync? That is, how do I keep the attributes, forms, and item templates compatible? Is there a way to do a "diff" between two urd files, to see where their attributes, forms, and item templates are different?

One technique I have experimented with is "drag & drop" of an item template between databases. This does not appear to update the attributes or forms of the target database. In fact, this has made me wonder how items derived from a custom template transfer to a different database via "drap & drop." Do both databases have to have the same item template name or do they have to have matching attributes?

Any ideas & suggestions are welcome!

-Stan