Thread: copy web pages
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jjinwi
FYI... I captured both problem webpages perfectly with Web Research 3.0.

I really wish UR used the same approach as WR to capture webpages.
This is the reason I hesitate to use UR as my main "data dump". In all other respects, I think it's the best program out there in its category, but its inability to capture all web pages and snippets with complete accuracy (and quickly) has been a stumbling block. As others have said in other threads, with UR you have to check every capture. With other programs you don't.

I occasionally stop by the forum to see if things have changed, but going by this thread, it seems not.

UR developers have said in this forum that the problem is caused by Firefox doing a poor job of copying the HTML to the clipboard. That may be the case, but other programs capture Firefox pages flawlessly. The Firefox add-on Scrapbook, mentioned above, is one example..

You mention Web Research. Yes, it does a great job. Why? It uses the saving engine in Scrapbook (if installed) to import. In effect I guess they're simply doing what Quant does in his post above.

Maybe UR could borrow this approach? I imagine it could be as simple as a script that says: temporarily copy page to Scrapbook; copy from Scrapbook to UR; delete from Scrapbook.

If it works for Web Research I can't see why it wouldn't work for UR.

Last edited by jdk; 06-25-2008 at 11:35 AM.