View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 AM

As usual in UR, I'm stuck with the basic things.

I've stripped my UR database from the display of unwanted attributes, so the only attribute that's currently been displayed, has been the icon (in order to change that manually, of course).

Now I wanted to experiment with accessing UR items by third-party programs, in order to construct UR as a FOUR PANE outliner: No, not a joke, I wanted to use ListPro (and its capability to trigger links) as a sort of a "launcher" for my MAIN UR items, in order to have another, overlayed level on UR and setting up UR's tree as a SECOND-LEVEL list, the children pane becoming the third - all this in order to make order in my mountains of data, in the absence of plus signs in the children pane.

The advantage of such a zero level on top being that clicking there, the main topic in UR's tree can "open" = expand, instead of "being left alone" = collapsed: Thus, one MORE level can be displayed in the children pane, which is of utmost importance if you try to flatten out your tree, but then have (almost / normally) all its levels displayed.

Of course, once you'll have constructed such a system relying on third-party add-ons (and at least in ListPro), you'll be able to set a SECOND level into that third-party program, which gives you two other levels in UR's tree and then its children pane, so this will make UR a FIVE-PANE outliner!

All this is far from being weird: Once you've got accustomed to quite a few levels of displaying your information, you'd never go back... and, finally, that's why we're all into outliners, instead of being into MS Word or any other normal "text processor", right?

So, back to basics. For experimenting, I created a new UR database. Then, I tried to display the URL attribute in the attributes' pane, in order to identify the URL for UR items I should then paste into ListPro. (The new database was automatically created with some settings from my stripped-down main database.)

No chance. The menu VIEW - CHOOSE COLUMS isn't but for the children pane, and even if "URL" is checked there, it's not displayed in the attributes field.

Thus going for the menu TOOLS - ATTRIBUTES. There, "URL" is checked already (and that's meaning "system", not meaning "to be displayed", then), but of course, it's not displayed in the attributes field (since I'm writing here). So I try the "Insert" button there, but to no avail, this would create a NEW attribute, and all I want is that an existing attribute, the URL one, should be displayed in the attributes pane.

Now for the menu TOOLS - OPTIONS - ATTRIBUTES. And here, the "URL" is not in the list, thus cannot be checked by me: Where is it gone?

1 hour's search in the help file and in the forum: nada result.

As an alternative, could you tell us the identification / url construction for UR items? As said before, main items / header items should be clickable, by their internal address, from third party linking programs.

I even tried with the itemID, since that I got back into my attributes pane (since it's in the list of the menu TOOLS - OPTIONS - ATTRIBUTES where the URL attribute is not), in the form link to:

file://c:\ur\i.urd\itemid=1006

or even without the "file://" part of this, but all this to no avail.

So how to reintegrate the URL attribute, and / or how to link to UR items from external programs?

(And let's hope their additional functionality will be integrated into UR itself, but for the time being, the combination UR plus ListPro should make an outstanding working environment in itself.)