View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reesd
I'll try and and give a quick example.
You want a tree when things have a parent/child relationship. You want to filter when you just want to narrow down what you are looking at while still keeping that relationship.

Here is a simple example of a backpacking list (it seems simpler to than a todo list which is my main use case). The tree is used to group similar items or group them by where they are packed. I have a people column that indicates if an item is used when I am going solo (lighweight being important) or with a group (need to support group and can share load with them). So I can quickly filter the list to just the stuff I will need.

backpacking list people
sacks
big backpack group
small backpack solo
cooking
stove
utensils
small pans solo
big pans group

My actual backpacking list is much longer than this and has 4-5 aspects that I use to filter including weight, people, number of days, etc. Tree filtering is key to keeping the structure but also being able to ignore/see the right items.

d
Why not add boolean attributes, Ex: group, share, solo or whatever for all your complete backpack list. Then check off what goes where. Then set up an automated search: group, share, solo with the appropriate criteria. Make each one of those searches a favorite so w one click it would bring up a speccialized list of items.

Wouldn't that accomplish what you want?