View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 AM

1)

Because it's so beautiful, here, for your contemplation:

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/3984/

TreeProjects 2.5 adds database encryption

Posted by Ian Goldsmid
May 3, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Since Treeprojects is quite similar to Kinook’s Ultra Recall - and their development has stopped - would you be able to develop an import process for .URD databases?

Posted by Daly de Gagne
May 4, 2012 at 01:30 AM
Ian, when you say Ultra Recall development has stopped, do you mean the company simply hasn’t added any features for a while - or can an inference be drawn from what you say that Kinook is having problems?

Posted by Ian Goldsmid
May 4, 2012 at 03:51 AM
I’m certain Kinook is a thriving company - other than that everyone on the planet has “problems” - so I’ve no idea what you are talking about really.

[So, complete retraction just 6 and a half hours afterwards, and pretending the inquirer is doing the calomny. Black's white, white's black. Must be working very successfully in the political field, that smart guy.]

2)

Some additional details for my white paper in order for avoiding misunderstandings:

Comments are mainly for systematic content description (working with multiple tabs, I need file names be as short as possible), and for various ToDo codings ("filter by..."), but all project / context groupings are done by file names, making heavy use of "clones", in the form of "ab.ao", "ak.ao", "ake.ao", together with "a.kl.ao" (= a clone of "kl.ao") or even "ake.klc.ao" and "ake.plo.ao" (= clones, respectively, of "klc.ao" and "plo.ao") - this way, clones are grouped within their immediate multiple contexts, in alphabetically-sorted sub-groups of the whole thing, whilst I rely, for any choosing of such outlines, on reading the "comment" text.

Separator lines are done similarly, they are appropriately named clones of an original divider line which is nothing more than an empty file with a sequence of dashes within the comment attribute.

As explained in another context above, there is no good search functionality in my system, but within a corporate context, such a thing wouldn't be any difficult to implement, it's just a matter of money to pay for the programming. In my system - used by one man (whilst in a collaborative environment, searching would indeed be of much more predominant necessity) - I discovered that my fractionizing of information into self-contained, correctly-described (= within the comment attribute) chunks allows for doing without frequent global searching, and it's not more than once a day, here and there, that I'm really in need of this. Well, for these exceptional needs of mine, there's a cheap third party application that not only allows for global searching my .ao files, but which also delivers correct results for terms containing European characters (if I enter them in the transcribed form AO internally processes them). Such a search (= of the whole, 2 GB bunch) takes about 200 seconds, but even delivers a table with the multiple contexts of the hits within each "hit" outline, which allows for my selecting the "right" .ao file then, in which I then must do a new search for the same term in order to finally get to the "hit" item. So this is cumbersome, but since it's of rare necessity, it's a quirk acceptable to me.

Within the above-mentioned cloned-outlines system relying on the file system, it's perfectly envisionable to integrate all sorts of other files than just outline files, especially .pdf files and .xml files (or whatever you need within your projects and various reference compartments), belonging to such projects, and I started to integrate such files into my system indeed, all the more so since it's possible to do multiple filtering at the same time, i.e. sometimes you want to have a clear view of just your "own" files, i.e. those you created by your own means (even if they also contain, perhaps a lot of, (fractions of) external content), and sometimes, you want to have "complete projects" to work an, an which indeed contain and related real third-party files, as downloaded .pdf's, etc.

As for scripting and integration, an important aspect is to do the scripting in a way that you can access (self-written) commands / routines doing processing within the file system (i.e. working upon your file commander or otherwise), from WITHIN your "real" application, i.e. in my case mainly AO, but also from within other applics (e.g. Excel) where you'd have any need to access your file management routines from; any necessary "switching" to a file commander or any other intermediate device, beforehand, would interrupt your workflow indeed.

And of course, these "simili-global commands" (= similar but not necessarily identical functionality, depending on your starting point applic) would be triggered by the same shortkeys, hence the interest of having a "new deal" for your numeric keypad, but this supposes that within other applics than Excel and your electronic tape calculator, you would NOT need to enter digits all day long. I also experimented with additional keyboards; there, the problem is you've got a full keyboard, with arrow keys and with a numeric keypad, so the additional keyboard (make it a tiny one, some 30 or 40 keys, not 100 or so) is far away from your a-z keys, or you must place it for your left hand, and in my experience, that was really awkward. It's far better to use your right (= your principal; for lefthanders it's all the other way round but perfectly similar then) hand for commanding your information system, willing to enter SOME digits (i.e. outside of heavy calculating and table processing) by the keys above your normal keyboard, all the more so since I discovered that within Excel, I need far less of such immediate access to my information system, allowing my normal using of the numeric keyboard for just entering digits there.

If you do a lot of data processing within Excel - which I discovered as being a much smarter way than trying to squeeze the attributes fields of an outliner (UR, MI) into a simili-spreadsheet (as I had tried to no real avail before, as many here always do) -, you could even use another system variable within your scripting system, in order to have your numeric keypad ready for number crunching, in Excel, WHEN you do number crunching there, but to have it do all sorts of more elaborate things at your will whenever just doing data analysing within that ubiquitous (and rightly so loved by everbody) program.

In the late Eighties (= transition period from proprietary systems to general computer use in secretarial work), you could buy a lot of elaborate keyboards, with a lot of additional F keys, and often distributed = really accessible in a smart way, whilst today, the problem, as mentioned, with additional keys being their distance from your normal a-z keys, hence the interest of a better re-use of your (integrated) numeric keypad whenever possible.

(And to Mark, your "scherk" I translated by "a smart way to insinuate "jerk"", but that was not a mandatory reading of perhaps just a typo...)