View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 07:36 AM

I have been able to import my 22,000 FF bookmarks, together with a perfect replication of their tree within an UR tree, without any fault whatsoever, and in ONE "jet"; both my script to get from html to tree, and for the links and link-titles/comments (i.e. doing away with all the crap, incl. icons, most referrers, etc, and then the UR import, both didn't take more than 30 seconds.

I used Notepad++ (also free) though, for the files and for the transcription UTF-8 to Ansi, since Notepad++ copes much better than Notepad, with (html) files of more than 30 MB (the text files (UTF-8) after running the script, and then after doing the conversion (Ansi), both are just about 2.5 MB, so I could have done the conversion with Notepad indeed, but in Notepad++, it worked as fine.

I'm positive about my allegation above though that the conversion UTF-8 to Ansi, done within / by EmEditor, leaves one or more hidden control characters unchanged, instead of purging them, with the above-described effects.

Thus, problem resolved, all the more so since both Notepad and Notepad++ are free.

(For writing (code or otherwise), Notepad is the worst thing on earth, since there is not the slightest boundary between the left window boundary and your text, so your text is scarcely readable, and you don't even identify your cursor - which was the reason that even for just some (trial) lines above, I hadn't thought of Notepad, whilst obviously, it does a perfect transmission work (if the source file isn't too "heavy").)