View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Hi Zargon,

Thanks for the question.

Think of it this way: doorways.

You go from your living room to your bedroom. Which one is the parent and which is the child? Neither, right? And if you're in the bedroom, you'd like to be able to go back to the living room right?

Alternatively, you might also want to go down the hall to the bathroom. Again - which is parent and which is child? Doesn't make sense, right?

OK - so...

Same thing with URP3. I create links between items, perhaps randomly. I want these links to be two-way. If an item is related to another, then that other item is related to the first one. I can simply look in my "related items pane" and not have to concern myself with whether I'm dealing with a parent-child relationship. Sometimes such a relationship matters to me; oftentimes it doesn't.

I don't want to get rid of the parent or child panes. I want an additional non-hierarchical view.

There used to be a product called IZE that provided this and I'd forgotten all about it till I saw a modern rendition in MyBase. Seems to me that if you can create a hierarchic relationship you should be able to show a non-hierarchical view, which, after all, encompasses less information than a hierarchical view.

I welcome additional thoughts on this.

Regards,
Bal