View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Multipule Build Process ~ Best Practice

Just a general question about multipule builds using one script.

We have 3 systems to build different versions to at different times. SIT, QA and production. There are a few differences to each system build, mostly where the code is located within VSS, the working directory, where the output goes, and who gets notified about the builds fail or success.

We currently have one script chained to several scrpits to make this all work on the SIT level. We are wanting to take this same script and make it send off the QA and Production builds. This is where the question comes.

There are 3 ways that I see we can go about this.

1. Copy the scripts rename the file with a corresponding name IE build1SIT, build1QA, build1PR, Etc...

2. Use the same script but have the batch file calling VBP to use different sets of Macros.

3. Use the same scripts with repeating steps that based upon a macro passed from the batch file that will tell it to conditionally build the correct group/steps.

Number 1 is purly not going to work as I refuse to put that much work into complicating things.

Number 2 is the option I favor, but it still means keeping tack of 3 batch files and 3 macro lists.

Number 3 is what my boss appears to like the best. I see this as overflowing the build script with more steps then are needed and having to set macros each time.

Looking over this, I guess there is a fourth option of a hybrid of 2 and 3.

In the end the question comes down to does anyone have any input on this from experience, or can suggest another method that may work?

TIA

T. Miller