Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Question newbie trust question

As a new owner of professional, I am really happy to be able to keep email and files in the same place. Have tried numerous other apps and am hoping this is the last.

Have read most of the help stuff and am still not confident in how to approach.

It appears that the best approach is to file everything in UR and ignore winexplorer. I understand the benefits of storing files in UR. My trust concerns are:

1. If I just link UR to my existing files, it seems that I will be losing some functionality that storing would provide. It also seems that I will have to manage both UR structure and winexplorer structure which seems redundant.

2. If I move everything to UR.....then if I don' t blow away all the duplicated explorer files, I will have 2 copies of everything clogging up my C: drive. Yet I don' t want to blow the old copies off if I am not convinced that this is the right approach. Can anyone with more experience advise if this is a reasonable strategy?

3. What is the best approach to organizing my website favorites in UR. I don' t know if the UR browser is stronger than IE so I guess I would still use IE. I have been using an excel sheet with hyperlinks as my favorites organizer. I have not been able to figure out how to import that into UR without losing hyperlinks, or how to create a similar favorites hyperlink organizer on a UR text item.

4. I also run into trouble when somehow a doc file ends up stored and linked.......somehow an automatic synch runs and wipes out any changes I have made to the UR version.

I am impressed with UR and am sure there are appropriate functions to resolve my concerns, yet unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of a long learning curve (that is why I ditched infoselect). UR is hugely more friendly and intuitive. I am an active professor/consultant and unless I can get over the hump of moving to UR reasonable quickly, I will have to retreat just to stay functioning. Please share your experience so I can get on with UR. Thanks......Bob
Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 AM

RE #3: you can directly import your bookmarks from IE, mozilla, ... go to menu File-> Import.

To add new link, just use the internal browser, then right click on the item and click on "Add to Ultra Recall (link)".

Then organize into folders as you wish ...
If you then click on the your item, it will be opened in the internal web browser. If you want to see your website on your default windows browser, right click on item and choose "Open Document", or CTRL+J
Old 01-14-2007, 05:44 PM

If it's any help, I keep my files on my PC hard drive just as they are, but I also link and store them in UR. That way I get the benefit of having the original files accessible from Windows Explorer as well as being able to search for content in UR and do all the powerful UR linking things.

Like you, I wouldn't like to rely solely on UR to store my only copy of my files; no particular reason, just like to be safe!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 PM

#1: It depends. The main advantages of storing documents in Ultra Recall are the compression that is used and the ease of taking all of your data with you in a single file. One note: if your files are in the same location (like a subfolder) as the .urd file, then Ultra Recall will link the document with a relative path url value so the linkage remains correct when the files and the .urd file are moved together. Advantages of linking are that the files are directly accessible outside of UR and are available to things such as desktop search (although you can export the files back out as documents from UR even if stored).

#2: With today's storage prices being so low, and the size of standard drives being so high, the issue of "clogging your drive" is often not a significant issue, but you save two ways (compression and no redundant storage) when storing your documents in UR.

#3: Probably the most natural way of storing "favorites" in Ultra Recall is simply to create a hierarchical structure of Info Items (in the Data Explorer pane). This allows you to easily rearrange them, search for them, link them to other items, annotate or store the related contents, etc.

Since you currently are storing them in an excel file, one option would be to save it as a csv file, then import this csv file into Ultra Recall using the Import Wizard (as Info Items). Another option would be to simply link or import the actual excel file as an Info Item, then enable viewing/editing of .xls files in the internal browser.

#4: By design, if a document is stored and the linked version still exists, syncing that item will update the stored copy with the contents/keywords of the linked version.