Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Janrif. Thank you.

This toolbar could, I think, be improved.

It provides buttons for insertion of different types data, which is really quite useful, and something most other organizers do however basic they are. However, it would work better if:

1. It was customizable so as only to have the desired buttons.

2. It is a bit of a pain having one toolbar to insert siblings and another to insert children. In my view, it would be better to have one toolbar for both.

3. It would be good if the individual buttons for a given type of insertion were different for children than for siblings.

4. I would like to be able to attach customizable buttons tied to templates.

5. It would also be useful to be able to attach short-cut keys to the various buttons.

6. And, of course, it needs to be robust, which it isn't at the moment.

In my view, this toolbar ought to be the most important one there is in UR, instead of which it seems a bit of an afterthought. Still, I'm glad to have what there is all the same.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenUK
This toolbar could, I think, be improved.

It provides buttons for insertion of different types data, which is really quite useful, and something most other organizers do however basic they are. However, it would work better if:

1. It was customizable so as only to have the desired buttons.
It is, by adding/removing templates at My Data -> Templates.
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2988

Quote:
4. I would like to be able to attach customizable buttons tied to templates.
Customize the icons of the template items as needed.

Quote:
5. It would also be useful to be able to attach short-cut keys to the various buttons.
Alt+Ins (for child, or Shift+Alt+Ins for sibling), first letter of desired template

Quote:
6. And, of course, it needs to be robust, which it isn't at the moment.
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3038
Old 09-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Thank you Kinook. I am always impressed by what UR can in fact do, and also the very speedy responses.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:22 PM

Kinook - I have just been trying what you advise.

The two most common insertions I use are text and folder.

To insert a piece of text at sibling level is not so easy. For a start, Shift-alt-Insert is a bit of a stretch. And then "t" in fact inserts a task, not text. But even if it inserted text, it is still quite a lot of key presses.

Would it be possible to have nice easy shortcut keys for inserting as sibling and as child, both text and folder which are basic building blocks?

I would suggest:

Ctrl - n for a new text note as sibling
Ctrl - d for a new directory as sibling
Shift Ctrl - n for a new text note as child
Shift Ctrl - d for a new directory as child.

(The number of times I open a new database is very few compared to the number of times I create a new note, and therefore the loss of Ctrl - n for opening new databases would not worry me in the least)

These four commands alone would greatly enhance my ease of use with UR.

Is there some way I can maybe achieve this anyway by customizung UR?

Last edited by StephenUK; 09-25-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

If the Default Child Template attribute of the parent item is Text, Insert will insert a new Text child, and Shift+Enter will insert a Text sibling.

As far as inserting via the Alt+Ins or Shift+Alt+Ins menus (pressing Alt+Shift with left hand and Insert with right isn't too bad), with two templates starting with T, you do have to press T twice and then Enter. But you can rename one of these templates to start with a different letter and then be able to type just the first letter once to select that menu item.

The Alt+Ins/Alt+Shift+Ins shortcuts are not customizable in UR, but you could use a macro tool to define your own keyboard shortcuts to select menu items, etc.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:01 PM

Thank you. This is useful. However, setting the child attribute to text does not, for example, allow so easy a way to insert a directory, or vice-versa.

Maybe a future version could nonetheless have Ctrl + single letter commands for insertion?

Looking at the program as a beginner would, the starting point when using the program is to insert notes and directories in the most intuitive way possible. So, to come full circle on this subject, it is still my view that it would be very nice to have both a simple single tool bar providing child and sibling note and directory insertion, with correspondingly easy Ctrl + letter commands.

Nontheless, in the meantime there are very respectable workarounds for which many thanks.