Old 04-09-2007, 06:08 PM

I don't understand

the following situation:

I created some attributes, let's call their category 'jan'
I created a form & I created a template, let's call it 'jan'
The child template is 'jan'

I want to create template children of 'jan', like the Year/Month templates

But every time I create a child I get the parent + child 1
Next child I get parent + child 1 + child 2, etc.

I can't figure out what's going on. Can someone help me sort this out? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 PM

sorry, it's not very clear what you are trying to achieve (at least to me)

What do you mean by this?
"I want to create template children of 'jan', like the Year/Month templates"

Do you want a template "jan" to have a kid that will be of "Year/Month" template (this is your own defined template?) type?
Or are you creating these kids outside of template directory and they do not conform to your "default child template" setting?

The easiest would be to create a new database, copy/paste your 'jan' template to the template directory, and create some children so that we can see what you are trying to achieve, ... and post it
Old 04-10-2007, 01:39 AM

Jan,

From Item Attributes Pane (Ctrl-4) look at Attribute-Default Child Template here you assign a Template to be created via the Insert key. The Template you want to assign must already exist as a Template to be available in the pop-up list.

For example:

Create three Templates - Year, Month, Day.

For the Template - Month assign Attribute-Default Child Template value to be Template - Day.

When an Item is created from Template - Month, and with focus on this newly created Item - Month, the Insert key will create a new child Item derived from Template - Day.

Taking this up one level, for the Template - Year assign Attribute-Default Child Template value to be Template - Month.

When an Item is created from Template - Year, and with focus on this newly created Item - Year, the Insert key will create a new child Item derived from Template - Month (but it will not have any children (Days), but it will have the ability to create (Days) via the Insert key).

If you want Template - Month to have structure, you could populate it with (31) Day Items, then Delete the unneeded Day Items upon use.

Here, the Template - Month could still have an Attribute-Default Child Template value of Template - Day.

Not sure that we need a Template - Year, it seems more like a Folder.

Or, I could be way off base...
KenA
Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the help -- both of you. I sorted it out after reading your posts. I think I had a mental block. When I created my attrubutes/Template/form, I inserted a # of items beneath it. All had the template/form attached so each time I re-created the parent + the children.

I copied the template w children (so as not to lose my work) & dumped it into the outline. Then I deleted all the children in the template area so all is now well.