Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Item | Split (and Item | Join) does use the separator text configured at Tools | Options | Import | Separator text for appending/joining/combining/splitting. If you want to split on new lines, enter one or two blank lines as the separator.

https://kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manua...portdialog.htm

When splitting, the item title is always based on the first line of text in the new item (truncated to MaxCharsForItemTitle at https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5097).

See IncludeItemTitleOnJoin at https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5097 for configuring whether to include the item title when joining.

You might try restarting UR or compacting & repairing your database if you're getting an error message like that.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:13 PM

hi Kinook

thanks for the clarification. This is definitely a problem with one or more of my databases. All kinds of weird things happening when I try to carry out a split in them. Template folder vanishing. Compact and repair brings it back but now icons for templates have disappeared. Items turning read-only. And so forth.

When I create a new database and try splitting an item in that, it works fine.

From a documentation point of view, I would suggest something in the Item > Split entry that directs the user to the Import tab in Options. I understand how this function operates across the gamut of join/split/import, but I don't really associate splitting an item with importing, so I puzzled over this more than I needed to.

With the databases that seem to have become corrupted, I will copy and paste items from them into brand-new databases. I assume that would be a fresh start for them and shouldn't carry over any of their problems?

cheers

David F.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:42 PM

For my own edification, what could've potentially caused the database to be corrupted? I have UR databases that I started 11 years ago, but never ran into any corruption issues. Is there any particular activity you do that you suspect? For example, do you store files likes pdfs, MS Word, Excel, etc?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2020, 12:11 PM

Well I would say I've had the same kind of experience, though not going back quite as far as 11 years - I mean with regard to the absolute stability and reliability of UR. I've never had this happen to any other database. So it is a bit of a mystery. It cropped up in the context of trying to split an item, and failing. Something did definitely go wrong there.

I do have databases where I store Word, Excel, PDF and so on, though not in this one. Never had any problems with them. Frankly there is no obvious culprit.

Several compact and repairs didn't fix it, including a reset to default settings. I tried copying and pasting items into a new database, but they just brought the problem with them. I'm not too worried. I'll probably export the items to CSV and reimport them somewhere else. It has not in any way put me off using UR.