Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 12-04-2005, 09:46 PM

Unhappy Can't finish Tasks without logging in from Task Scheduler

I successfully created tasks with Visual Build Pro 6.0 and was able to finish the tasks without a failure.

Now I want to run the tasks from Task Scheduler. I just wanted to test it, so I right clicked on the task from another machine and clicked on Run, but the task scheduler says "Running" and does nothing.

So to eliminate the possibility of bug in Task Scheduler, I created a very simple console application and created a scheduled task to test the task scheduler itself. It seems to work just fine. I even created a very simple Visual Build Pro file and tried to run it from the Task Scheduler, and the same symptom happens.

Am I missing something?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 PM

Smile

OK, I resolved this issue myself. I hope this post will help everyone who comes across this sort of issue.

The issue was that Task Scheduler couldn't run the tasks created with Visual Build Pro 6.0. When I created scheduled task via Tools -> Create Scheduled Task, it created a task with the command like the following.

"C:\Program Files\VisBuildPro6\VisBuildPro.exe" /b "C:\Dev\Test.bld"

Well, with this command, Task Scheduler can't start it if you are not logged on to a session on the build machine because VisBuildPro.exe is a GUI application. Instead, you have to change it to like the following.

"C:\Program Files\VisBuildPro6\VisBuildCmd.exe" /b "C:\Dev\Test.bld"

VisBuildCmd.exe is the key. I would recommend that Visual Build Pro GUI create the scheduled task with VisBuildCmd.exe by default because most of the automated build would run unattended.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Administrator

It's actually a v6.0 bug that the GUI app doesn't finish when run from a Scheduled Task if the user the task is running under isn't logged in (it hangs at startup trying to create a system tray icon). This will be fixed in the next release.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:19 PM

Well, I'm glad that there is a workaround with this bug... Wouldn't you think it's quite a serious issue enough to release a hotfix for it?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Administrator

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1384
Old 12-06-2005, 11:50 AM

Smile

Great, thank you very much for your quick response!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: