Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 PM

copy url when copying web material

When I select part of a web page and use copy to UR, it copies fine but it does not insert a url into the copied material. When I look at item attributes, it says that I copied into a text page rather than a document, and there is no place for the url. How can I copy material (rather than just link it) and still capture the url. Sometimes I want to be able to go back to the original, but not capture all of the original.

Many thanks

Don Spady
Old 10-21-2007, 02:01 PM

are you pasting directly to data explorer pane? (as opposed to item text pane)

or are you using IE/Firefox buttons?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:07 PM

I am using the Firefox buttons (Copy to Ultra Recall)
Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dspady
I am using the Firefox buttons (Copy to Ultra Recall)
hmmm, sorry, I can't think of any setting in UR that could cause that. Did it work before? Did you try to reinstall those extensions?

In the meantime, after selecting part of website, paste (CTRL+V) directly to data explorer pane. Does this method work?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:14 PM

I reinstalled UR; I deleted the firefox extensions and reinstalled them. I tried to copy using Ctrl-V. None of these results in the url being copied. The copy process itself works fine, just the url is not copied. I have to do it by hand.

Is it SUPPOSED to copy the url, or do I have wrong expectations.

When I use Link to UR, there is no problem, but I don't want to link, I want to copy

Don
Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 PM

I'm not using Firefox, but...

When Copying a portion of a webpage (selected text) either by using the Copy button, the right-click popup menu (Send to UR (copy)), or (as quant suggested) drag-drop the selected text to a location in the UR Data Explorer - UR will create a Document Item for the imported material. By default Document Items have a URL Attribute.

I ran some tests using all three methods above - selecting different portions of the same webpage and sending them to the same folder in UR - in each case a Document Item was created and the URL Attribute was the same for each Item.
Quote:
Then I unselected everything on the webpage and try to send the entire webpage to the same folder in UR - either with the Copy button or right-click menu - nothing is created. If I send the webpage to another location in UR it will create an Item, but it is a Linked Item to the last Item created from the selected text.

The only way that I could get the webpage to Copy to same location (or any location) as the previously created Items (snippets from page), was to Select All, then employ one of the three methods described above. This would create a new Item that contains the entire webpage.

This probably has something to do with the fact that the created Items all have the same URL Attribute - not sure why the Select All and Copy works.
Updated: deselected Tools | Options | Import (More) - Create Logically Linked Items for duplicate URL - fixed this situation.

Alternately, if I Copy (Ctrl-C) selected text from a webpage to the clipboard, then select a location in the UR Data Explorer and right-click, there are number of Paste options - each will create a new Text Item (rtf) below the selected location from the contents of the clipboard.

By default Text Items do not have a URL Attribute, but this Attibute can be exposed via the Ctrl-4 Item Attibutes Pane. I don't know what effect the assignment of a value to this Attribute will have for a Text Item.

Granted, I'm using IE, but this is how things behave for me.

Last edited by ashwken; 10-23-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM

That sounds like that way UR should run, but when I use 'Copy to' in Firefox, it doesn't copy to a Document item. It copies to a Text item, which does not have a url attribute.
Is there any way to make sure that ALL text items I use have the url attribute as part of its default attribute?

Don
Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
That sounds like that way UR should run, but when I use 'Copy to' in Firefox, it doesn't copy to a Document item. It copies to a Text item, which does not have a url attribute.
Is there any way to make sure that ALL text items I use have the url attribute as part of its default attribute?

Don
copy selected portion | switch to URp | paste special <ALT>P | html
Does that do what you want?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM

Thank you, yes, that works fine. But it seems a bit "kludgy"

Don
Old 10-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Something is wrong if importing from Firefox via the UR extension creates a Text item. Try repairing your database (Tools | Compact & Repair with the Repair and Reset options checked). If that doesn't help, you may need to send the database (and the other info requested at http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3038). Does the problem occur importing into in a new database?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Something is wrong if importing from Firefox via the UR extension creates a Text item. Try repairing your database (Tools | Compact & Repair with the Repair and Reset options checked). If that doesn't help, you may need to send the database (and the other info requested at http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3038).
I have *always* had this situation described from day 1 & assumed that the only way to add a URL to *selected text* from a website was to paste as html.

However, I have no intention of running a 'reset' willy nilly because it will cause me to spend a lot of time I don't have to reconstitute what I have. Mulltiple tools | compact | repair have had no effect on this problem.

Do you think that the external repair tools might be an alternative approach?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you, yes, that works fine. But it seems a bit "kludgy" Don
I don't disagree... See my comments above. Could it be that we are the only two people who have this problem? I find that hard to believe but short of further discussion, who knows.

Last edited by janrif; 10-23-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 AM

Things get curiouser and curiouser. Now, on my office machine, a 'copy to' results in the material being copied to a document, WITH a url. But my machine at home doesn't. And it is the same database. At home, I am using a laptop with XP SP2 and a Celeron processor.

I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Takes up too much time.

Don Spady
Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Things get curiouser and curiouser. Now, on my office machine, a 'copy to' results in the material being copied to a document, WITH a url. [snip]
Don, what's your office machine.. OS? Tks.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Plain Jane Windows PC, Pentium 4 with 1.5 Gb Memory running on XP SP2. Pretty basic machine, couple of years old.

Don

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: