Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Storing web Page with IE9

I am now having issue storing web pages now that I have IE9. When I right click and drag and drop the URL into Ultra Recal and select copy when droping the link I get the root of the site and not the article I wanted.

This seems to be with the issue that shortcuts are different in IE9. There new .website shortcuts are treated like little mini apps. So it makes it diffucult to import articles for research. A good example is Scott Hanselmans blog, if I have one of his articles loaded and try to store that article in UR, one it doest store the site it just links even through I selected copy and two its only shows the root site, below is a link I used as an example.

http://www.hanselman.com

I also want to mention that I am running windows 7 x64 not sure if that has any bearing on this or not. I am using the latest version as I just downloaded this software agaim yesterday, I just rebuilt my workstation.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Administrator

IE9 does appear to have some problems with clipboard/drag data. As you noticed, when dragging a URL from IE9, the UniformResourceLocator format doesn't contain the full URL. Until they fix this, you'll need to use another method like the UR toolbar buttons in IE or copy and paste the URL (use Ctrl+Shift+V to copy instead of link) into UR. Or uninstall IE9.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM

I think part of the issue is now IE9 when draging and droping from creates a new type of link file with a .website extention. I would think the issue stems from that, there doesnt appear to be anything wrong with IE and uninstalling it doesnt sound like the best optio.

The new .website format support making links to the task bar and making like "mini" apps for the lack of a better term. Is there an issue with UR supporting this new link and if so when will that be addressed?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

I don't know anything about .website link files, but there is definitely something wrong with the drag info IE9 provides for URLs. See screen shot for data provided by IE8 (first shot) and IE9 (second) when dragging the URL of a page on hanselman.com. IE needs to provide valid data in the UniformResourceLocator format in order for UR to import properly (regardless of whether it is including other formats).
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 AM

The .website extention is how IE is now storing links on the desktop. If you drag and drop antying from IE9, the shortcuts created have this extention.

I tried using the tool bar in IE and that doesnt do anything. Do you know if there will be support for IE9, drag and drop available soon?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Any additional drag/clipboard formats should not affect older formats already provided, and until IE9 is fixed to provide the correct URL for the existing format, UR won't be able to identify the URL for importing when dragging the address bar URL. I don't know if or when that will happen, you would have to ask Microsoft. The UR toolbar button works properly with IE9 in our tests.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM

The tool bar isnt working for me at all, so I did some digging around the net.

The issue is not something broken in IE9 its just some new behavior they introduced as the defualt. When ever you drag something from the address bar to the desktop or anywhere, it doesnt create a URL shortcut but this new format Website shortcut.

Doing some research in order for IE 9 to create URL shortcuts as previous version you need to hold down the shift key while dragging and droping. I tried using this with UR and that seems to work.

Here are some links that may shed more light on the issue:

http://zoomicon.wordpress.com/2011/0...net-shortcuts/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...1-77a8fe22f221

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...pin-sites.html

I hope this helps and other users upgrade to IE9, this help other users as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: