Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Quick Search in the Link/Move/Copy Items Window

It would be a great productivity addition to be able to:

* Select an item in the tree to link to another item

* open the Link/Move/Copy Window

* Perform a Quick Search - or Maybe more ideally a Title Search right there in that Window..

Rather than having to laboriously navigate the Tree manually to find the Item to link to...

Does anyone know a similar way to achieve the end result?

If not, does anyone support this additional feature?

Thanks, IJG
Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 AM

I don't support this one.

There already was a discussion about sth like this. Instead of adding new features to the dialogue, I'd support possibility to have another Data explorer tree, just like Total Commander or any other decent 2 pane file system manager. In that way, there would be no need to create additional features to the dialogue, like "Insert", "New", "search", or whatever. This approach is not a robust one!

If we had second Data explorer tree, one would have ALL the features of UR at their disposal (not just few of those in that dialogue), and be able to simply drag-drop or copy/paste/move from one Data explorer tree to another ... simple as that
Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 AM

Re: Quick Search in the Link/Move/Copy Items Window

From the Data Explorer set focus to the (source) Item you wish to Link.

Perform Quick Search for "destination" Item, should be revealed in Search Results Pane.

Move your mouse to the Data Explorer and right-click-hold-drag-drop the "source" Item onto "destination" Item in the Search Results Pane, will create a Linked child Item of the "source".

It would seem that this method does not allow for a Copy or Move (Cut).

Here you would need to Copy or Cut the "source" Item first, then perform the Search - double-click on the "destination" Item revealed in the Search Results which moves focus to this Item in the Data Explorer, now right-click on "destination" Item in the Data Explorer and do a Paste function.

Unless there's a different way, but I hear what you're saying.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
If we had second Data explorer tree, one would have ALL the features of UR at their disposal (not just few of those in that dialogue), and be able to simply drag-drop or copy/paste/move from one Data explorer tree to another ... simple as that
I hear what you're saying also.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:19 AM

A second Data explorer tree would lift URp to another level.

I use Directory Opus which does have a dual display which simplifies intensive use of it, sometimes I even wish it had the option for more, but like UltraRecal I can open two instances and cut and paste or drag from one to
the other.

So yes another Data explorer please
Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 AM

Two data Explorers sounds like a great and much better idea than mine...

I'll second and third that! :-)
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Here's another thought:

Have any of you seen/used Omea Pro? Omea Pro enables a link to one or more selected Items to be copied to a discrete pop up window (which discretely persists for as long as you want - and DOESN'T prevent access to the other windows of the application - I think this is technically known as multi-modal?) - then those links can be freely dropped onto any other Item while navigating. The other nice feature about linking in Omea is you can name them - so rather than just being one default link type (in UR - is Child/Parent of), you can define any number of Link Types (e.g. is Colleague of) - which is very powerful indeed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: