Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 06-13-2008, 11:23 AM

files vs UR attributes synchronization

I would like to use UR for the management/categorization of large amount of files, but I wouldn't like to do categorization/tagging several times.

I draw analogy with photo management in acdsee. You can categorize inside acdsee your files by adding keywords, assigning categories, etc. But this info is not locked inside acdsee database because you can copy any info to/from exif/iptc which stays with the photo. Its called "Batch set information".

I'd like to do the same with files linked/stored in UR (possibly also for exported rtf files).

Select the linked/stored files in UR and choose which item attributes to copy from to which of the file system attributes (category, keywords, title, ...). For example, I could copy all parent titles to categories file attribute, or all user defined keywords to file keywords. The same other way around, but probably limited to user defined keywords for the beginning.

In this way I'd know that all my hard work is not wasted and info would be available outside of UR database for the files that are linked to UR (for example for indexing software etc).

PS: I'm aware of attributes export csv files ...

Last edited by quant; 07-20-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes, I've wondered why UR has not offered support for image and audio tags beyond what's available in the Windows File System Properties. Maybe there hasn't been enough demand, or it's a case of why bother when there are so many specific programs available that already do this. But it seems to me that I've turned to UR to simplfy my information management, which means that I want to reduce the number of programs I'm using.

Support for image and audio tags implies not only the ability to read (recognize) the tags, but also the ability to write new (or changed) tag information to the file.

Beyond this you make an interesting suggestion of being able to not only map UR Attributes to similarly named file tags, but also map UR Attributes to differently named file tags.

Or have I missed the point?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
Beyond this you make an interesting suggestion of being able to not only map UR Attributes to similarly named file tags, but also map UR Attributes to differently named file tags.

Or have I missed the point?
yes, why should we be limited to the attributes of the same name? Just like in the existing csv import, anything can be mapped to anything.

I'd like to be able to read/write/map file metadata from different types of documents, pdf, djvu, doc, xls, but the same applies to mp3 tags, photos exif/iptc data, etc.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
yes, why should we be limited to the attributes of the same name? Just like in the existing csv import, anything can be mapped to anything.

I'd like to be able to read/write/map file metadata from different types of documents, pdf, djvu, doc, xls, but the same applies to mp3 tags, photos exif/iptc data, etc.
In your original post you mentioned the Image Mngmt program acdsee, I was drawn to iMatch (http://www.photools.com/index.php) which strikes me as very similar to UR.

As you pointed out above, this is Document Mngmnt - it's just a data file, if it supports some type of file tag, it's be nice to be able to interact with it.

It just seems like a natural for UR.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:31 PM

I second (or I guess, third?) this suggestion.

Thanks!

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: