Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM

a few more suggestions

More ideas that would make URP4 more useful to me and perhaps to others too:

1 - ignore spelling at an item level. I'd like an attribute where if toggled, it makes automatic spell check, with the red line, inactive or active.

2 - let me change the color of the auto spellcheck underline. The red makes it very intrusive where I'm using lots of proper nouns or words that URP4 just doesn't recognize. If I could make the underline a shade of gray, that would be helpful.

3 - enable me "tear" an item away from the main program and make it "stay on top" and resizable so that I can easily take notes while watching a video. Right now, I have to use a "post-it" program, which doesn't integrate nicely with URP4. When I'm done, of course, I'd like it to appear in the correct spot in the Explorer pane.

Thanks.
- Bal
Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 AM

> 3 - enable me "tear" an item away from the main program and make it "stay on top" and resizable so that I can easily take notes while watching a video. Right now, I have to use a "post-it" program, which doesn't integrate nicely with URP4. When I'm done, of course, I'd like it to appear in the correct spot in the Explorer pane.

I endorse this one. I also use a post-it program for the same reason. If I want to take a note on another item within UR, there's no easy way to do it. OneNote, for example, has Side Notes for this purpose.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lascasas
>If I want to take a note on another item within UR, there's no easy way to do it.
I do it this way...

Create a new text item.

Double click or Ctl-J to edit externally. That opens my item in Word (or wordpad on my netbook without Word installed).

Navigate in UR to the item I want to take notes on and take notes into the new UR item opened externally.

Close Word and yes to save changes back to the UR item.

I normally use 2 monitors which makes this quite easy to do.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks. I've done this too, but it doesn't fit my notion of easy. I have to resize Word (I have only one monitor), I have to save it back to UR, etc. Something more organically part of UR that could be invoked with a single keyboard shortcut would be better, but I take your point
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 PM

What if you used item notes. They are linked (I think) to only one item, but you can view and item and then write notes about that item. I don't use it all that often, but once in a while. I imagine that they could be copied ultimately to something else if necessary.

Don
Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 AM

I do use item notes. Those work fine for attaching a note to a single item. The problem comes when you want to take a note on several items at once. You can't do that directly inside UR. You have to open an item ouside of UR or use another app like a post-it note program. If there's a way to do that inside UR, I don't see it. Other examples of how this had been handled include a program called KeyNote, which has a "scratch pad" for this purpose, and Zoot, which allows you to open multiple items in new windows and switch between them. In UR, you can essentially only work with one item at a time (there are other workarounds, such as switching between tabs, etc., but I find all of them less than optimal)
Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM

I agree with all you say. I just wanted to be certain you were aware of Item Notes. I think a scratchtab type of note device would be VERY useful.

Don
Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM

The "tear-away" idea would be my ideal. It could be somewhat accomplished by having multiple detail panes. The advantage of the tear away that I envision is that you can resize it so that it is positioned in a convenient position with a conveniently sized footprint.

In fact, as long as I'm envisioning Kinook to be the genie in the lamp, let me set up multiple "tear away items." One would give me the reference data for contacts, another for project metadata, etc.

Just rubbing my lamp...

- Bal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: