Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 10:21 PM

just started noticing search performance issues

just started noticing some really horribly slow search query performance, that used be almost instantaneous....

whenever I now click on quick search - or reset from a previous search - with no search terms it immediately starts listing all the info items. but it gets hung and is thrashing my cpu at 50+ % and taking up to two minutes to list out just 513 info items....

Similarly when I perform a simple search using just one term... it is performing unbelievably slow - spitting out a few results, then in increments of 1 or a few, until it finally grinds to done in an up to one miniute seemingly interminable time frame... I don't remember seeing this problem before.... it just seems to have kicked in today. I do not recollect doing anything odd with my computer, or installing anything that could have done this. I have f-secure virus/firewall, and have had so for a long time...

I have tried reinstalling UR (by the way, the forum indicates version 1.4c, wheras the download page indicates 1.4b?) - but to no avail.

I have a 3.2 ghz machine with 1.5gig RAM, and typically only about 500-600meg commit charge...

This is a real concern as I am using UR for my everyday work critical information management, and I can't afford for searches to be this retarded...

Anyone else seeing a problem with search performance?

Last edited by igoldsmid; 02-21-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:00 AM

I just noticed...

that the problem ONLY occurs with the simple and advanced search items supplied with the UR install. When I create new quick or advanced search and use those - the searches works at typical lightening speed...

I notice that the system supplied quick and advanced search items can't be deleted, so i've had to move them to the bottom of my various search items, and change their icon so I remember not to use them...

Odd problem? anyway, issue effectively resolved by not using the UR system supplied quick and advanced search items.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

That is strange. Could you

1) Make a copy of your database, pare it down to remove private data (but still reproduce the problem), ZIP and upload it to ftp://ftp.kinook.com/incoming

or

2) Do an advanced search of (Item) is Search, export to XML, ZIP and send to support@kinook.com

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:48 PM

The reason for the search slowness was due to the display of the Item Text and Item Notes virtual attributes in the Search Results (Related Items pane). These virtual attributes are quite inefficient, are are recommended for use only when necessary (such as true "Phrase Searching").