Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 10:10 AM

AV with only two tabs open. Took my time with UR and treated it gently.

Ultra Recall Professional 3.2.1
Registered to: Jon Polish (1-user license)
Windows version: 5.1.2600.2.0
Install path: C:\Program Files\Ultra Recall
EncryptPDF.dll version 3.0.0.2
mimepp.dll version 3.0.4
pdf2txt.dll version 3.1.0.4
PolarSpellChecker.dll version 4.0.5.4
riched20.dll version 5.50.99.2010
SftPrintPreview_IX86_U_10.dll version 1.05
SftTree_IX86_U_50.dll version 5.06
UltraRecall.exe version 3.2.1.0
unins000.exe version 51.46.0.0
Database filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Polish\My Documents\Ultra Recall\JP.urd
Database version: 3.0.12
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 AM

guys, the pictures of the same AV errors won't help much, try to send the trace file ...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM

My Dear and lovely Kinook,
I have had 2 AV's today and once program disappearance. Even though I can not tell exactly what the procedure was, but I confirm the overall trend ...
- opening many tabs (7 on average).
- Selecting multiple items to move/copy
- closing tabs.

I can tell that it triggered almost always upon closing a tab. I had an older release of UR 3.1 with tracing enabled. Attached is the trace files and the AV error.

One last thing, triggering these kind of errors has been almost consistent for me in the general sense. That is, open a bunch of tabs, select multiple items, do something with them like move, go back and close tabs individually or in groups. At some point, you will greeted with these errors. I was able to produce them in these 2 times.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ks_trace_rtti_01.txt (42.9 KB, 979 views)
Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 PM

here is the other trace...
Attached Files
File Type: txt ks_trace_rtti_02.txt (5.9 KB, 1103 views)
Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 AM

No access violation this time; just the UR has caused a problem and will be closed message. I had opened an info item that was a stored Word 2007 document in a third tab, right clicked on the URL attribute and chosen Open Shortcut.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:41 PM

After resisting for a while I'm afraid I have to join this AV band wagon.

Since I have started making use of new tabbed views, i.e. using multiple tabs, i am encountering these errors.

It appears to me that they occur if user finishes with one tabbed window & closes or jumps to another too fast.

IOW, while URp is saving / updating / digesting, it burps an AV.

A few times I have found that data entered did not take, that a tabbed item may be replaced by a different tabbed item. At one point URp selected all children of one item & for kicks I looked @ my user keywords to see if they had disappeared again & they were ALL selected... al kinds of weirdness.

It is a little un-nerving but except for the data not taking, no harm is done.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
After resisting for a while I'm afraid I have to join this AV band wagon.

Since I have started making use of new tabbed views, i.e. using multiple tabs, i am encountering these errors
The thing is, that I got several AVs when no tabs were used. All we can do is to suply enough details + trace files to Kinook to investigate, hopefully they solve it for good, and move onto some nice new features
Old 08-30-2007, 06:09 PM

Can Kinook confirm that they're working on this? I'm getting a little worried by the frequency with which UR shuts down with some kind of error, although I must add that I haven't lost any data because of it. I do, though, use UR for taking notes and referring to information while I'm on the phone and it can cause a bit of a problem if it happens then!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:40 PM

Did anyone have a search start looping when closing tabs?

To explain:

Let's say I have 4-5 tabbed windows working.
I click on a favorite which is actually a saved search that starts automatically in a new tab

I find what I was looking for then shift to another tab or maybe close the search window

All of a sudden it comes back & then closes then comes back, etc. so it's looping.

I've also had this sort of behavior when working with an item derived from a URL -- local or external in similar circumstances.

I can't pinpoint steps to recreate it but it happens w enough frequency for me to know that there is a problem of some kind.

Exiting URp causes an AV & I have to manually remove UR from Task processes.

Edited 08/31/07 03:17 pm: just had the same thing happen again. agggggghhhhhhhhh.

Last edited by janrif; 08-31-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:06 AM

Access violation again. 3 tabs open. Active one is a stored Word document. Clicked in the Explorer pain to view another info item and got Error loading item(s): Access violation.

Closed UR and opened it again. It had the same 3 tabs opened and immediately gave Error updating access date: Access violation.

Tried to close the errant tab after dismissing the error message and got a database is locked message. Then a reminder popped up. Had to close UR with task manager.

Now UR won't start. I see there is still an instance of it in task manager processes. Closed that and UR started and let me close the tab that was displaying the Word document.

These crashes are definitely occurring more frequently with the latest version of UR.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

We're working on a debug build that should provide us with more information when these type of errors occur. We'll contact you offline when it's available.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:25 AM

OK, this problem is completely reproducable for me. One tab is open, so this is not tab related.

1. Have "Combined text for multiple selection" enabled.
2. Select a decent number of items (in my case I selected 10 - 15)
3. Now quickly delete those items. If the Item Detail pane is still refreshing, you will get a Microsoft window announcing their sorrow that UR has to be closed.

There is no denying that UR is SLOW. It is slow while importing, it is slow during synchs, it is slow (as reported in another thread) capturing web pages, it is slow opening large numbers of child items in the Explorer window. I have tried to improve the speed and stability on a number of different computers and have implemented Kinook's registry tweaks. Some combinations are incrementally better, but not functionally better (for me). By that I mean that there may be some performance improvement, but only when compared with UR. When compared to other programs, well forget it.

I think that the users in this thread have identified some failures as being caused by acting too quickly before UR completes its task. So what? Speed and accuracy are essential to computing. Why should users adapt to the limitations of the program?

I like UR very much and the potential it has is wonderful. I would characterize myself as a UR realist, not a UR loyalist. Performance issues need to be radically improved because usability suffers. Now there is some evidence that performance issues can also effect program stability.

Jon
Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 AM

I've only had one access violation while using the debug build. I think this is perhaps because:

a) the debug build has a fix for whatever was causing the access violations; or

b) I'm now not saving tab positions when I close UR; or

c) the debug build runs noticeably slower than the normal UR.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 AM

how can I get a copy of this trace-enabled build?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Instructions were sent to your forum account email address last week. If you didn't receive it, send a request to support@kinook.com.