Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-28-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenUK
Zargron - just tried to post under FAQ, but I think I don't have the right to post in that section.
Sorry Stephen, my suggestion to post in "FAQ - Troubleshooting" was directed at Kinook.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:19 PM

my 2 pennies ...

- it is way better for any software to have its bugs caught and fixed while in beta testing. Users expect it and will appreciate the fact that they were given the chance to test it. If, however, same set of bugs are caught after it is declared 'production', the attitude, image, and perception will be quite different. Users will get disappointed, demote the product, and look elsewhere. Notice that we are talking same set of bugs, yet very different outcomes.

Having said that, I do strongly recommend that kinook do come up with a beta testing group external to their own labs. Why not release a beta version with all traces enabled. Ask users to beat the crab out of it and report their findings. Not only that, you can even take it a step farther divide up the work....
- have a set of users test the OL integration piece.
- Test the item management piece e.g. moving, copying, etc...
- and so forth.

all this work should be done in less than month max. I myself participate in 3 beta groups for different kinds of products and I find quite productive and helpful.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM

Maybe a beta testing group would be a good idea.

However, it does seem to me that perhaps we sometimes expect too much. The software only costs the price of a meal out, and it is relatively niche. The developer clearly works extremely hard and is very responsive. Maybe with this kind of complex product we shouldn't come down too hard on the odd thing going wrong now and again. Which is not to say I don't agree with what you say!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:30 PM

Version 3.2 has completely fixed the switching problem, in all modes. Thanks Kinook.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Having this issue...

I'm having this issue, UR goes not responsive when I switch between databases. Tried setting it to show a taskbar entry for each open DB, same result, both went unresponsive.

Ultra Recall Professional 3.2.6
Registered to: Curt Coulter (1-user license)
Windows version: 5.1.2600.2.0
Install path: C:\Program Files\UltraRecall
EncryptPDF.dll version 3.0.0.2
mimepp.dll version 3.0.4
msptls.dll version
pdf2txt.dll version 3.1.0.4
PolarSpellChecker.dll version 4.0.5.4
riched20.dll version 12.0.4518.1014
SftPrintPreview_IX86_U_10.dll version 1.05
SftTree_IX86_U_50.dll version 5.06
UltraRecall.exe version 3.2.6.3
unins000.exe version 51.49.0.0
Database filename: C:\Documents and Settings\curt\My Documents\CBORD Dev.urd
Database version: 3.0.13
Old 01-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Weird. Is this something that used to work and stopped working? Try closing UR and deleting C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\riched20.dll. Does the problem occur with the sample databases? Do you have much resident software running (i.e., security software, desktop enhancers, system tray apps, etc.) and if so, what products+versions?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Weird. Is this something that used to work and stopped working? Try closing UR and deleting C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\riched20.dll. Does the problem occur with the sample databases? Do you have much resident software running (i.e., security software, desktop enhancers, system tray apps, etc.) and if so, what products+versions?
Yes it used to work. I've rebooted, closed out all other apps, and it has the same behavior. Removing riched20.dll, same result.

Opened 3 sample databases, I can switch between them at will, no problem. I did a compact & repair on all 3 of my DBs, same result.

After trying the sample DBs, but having mine still fail, I closed everything, opened them each individually and closed them. Then opened all three again, and now I can switch between them with no problem. Strange.

Thanks for the help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: