Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 AM

Using UR & Dropbox

Hi,
I have some kind of optimization issue when using UR and dropbox:

Say I have a .urd file on a local dropbox folder on a PC. When I open the file, even if I make no modification, the .urd file is somehow updated by UR every minute or so, and dropbox starts a sync with the network and other PC. Among bandwith consumption, this has the nasty side effect of creating huge dropbox local caches, over 1GB after a few days, which I have to clean manually.

Is there a way to tell UR(Pro) not to update the .urd file when there is no change occuring in it ?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Did you see this for an explaination of your "the .urd file is somehow updated by UR every minute or so"

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3728
Old 10-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Thanks. I will look into it. I think this should solve the issue.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:15 PM

The Multiuser mode option seems to be the culprit. Now that it is disabled, the dropbox upload every minute seems gone.

I kept active the 2 other options (autosave and tracking of last access) because I need them.

Thanks a lot for the pointer to the FAQ.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 PM

I stopped using Ultra Recall in Dropbox because of the multiple copies. I did change the option mentioned above because I don’t "collaborate" with anyone with UR; just me! However Dropbox still seemed to find a reason to add multiple copies so I removed my URDs from Dropbox and I just make sure to back up my URDs frequently.

Oddly the same exact issue exists with Surfulater. Also, I sync a number of directories on my computer to an external drive daily using Super Flexible File Synchronizer (SFFS) and the same problem or multiple copies of my databases occurs with both UR and Surfulater. If I forget to check the SFFS sync folders regularly I find that I have a copy for every day of any URD I used during that period! For example I just checked now and it has been 15 days since I went into the sync folder and manually deleted the extra URD copies. My actual UR directory where my URDs are stored is 305 MB; the synced UR folder is currently 3.06 GB! (That's 15 extra copies of one URD at 189 MB each!) Same deal for Surfulater: Actual Surfulater directory is 1 GB, but the synced folder for Surfulater is 3.49 GB. Similar problems with OneNote 2007. All three of these apps end up with extra copies of their databases in Dropbox, SFFS synced folders, FileHamster, or any program that makes a copy of any changed database. All three are creating their own internal backups.

I won't complain about it because this makes all three programs safer than any others on my box. I just can't keep any of their databases in any program/system/situation that auto-saves copies of their databases. They grow too darned fast! Just have to make sure to save copies regularly.

Thanks!

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: