Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2005, 01:23 AM

Logical Link Structure

I've been using UR for sometime now and found that the whenever an info item is linked to multiple parents, the child item will appear under each of the parent item in the data explorer pane. This looks kind of messy and confusing if a large number of parents are involved since the same child item will appear under each of the parent involved. If a child item under any parent is deleted, the other child item will remain intact in the data explorer pane even though they are one and the same item. This may not be desirable if the child item needs to be deleted for valid reasons. Of course, some may argue that the child-parent relationship is still valid for other info items and thus would like to preserve the linkages created so far.

This confusion seems to come from showing the logical links in the data explorer pane itself because logical links are not linear in nature. The data explorer pane seems to be more suited to show subtrees or sub-info items where the relationship between info items is more linear.

Would it be possible to make it such that logical links do not appear in the data explorer pane and limiting these types of links to the child/parent items pane? Then, the only way to see the relationship is through these two panes. Of course, the structure will behave more like hyperlinks but now the links point to info items itself rather than within info items as in the case with hyperlinks (I am aware of the ongoing discussion on the advantages/disadvantages of logical-linking vs hyperlinking). This structure also appears to be neater and simpler to understand.

I know we would like to structure our information so that we can cross link items in such a way that does not rely on the location of the info items but I don't think this can be done properly in the data explorer pane. We can do this instead by using the child items pane and parent items pane.