Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM

Alt-Z Behavior

Using Alt-Z to insert Custom Date/Time (see Options | Misc)

Not sure if this is a question or a suggestion...

To Rename an existing Item with Alt-Z, I must right-click on the Item in Data Explorer and select Rename To, then select the desired Date/Time value.

Atl-Z is not recognized in the Item Attributes Pane for Item Title.

If the Item has a Form assigned and Item Title is available thru the Form, then Alt-Z will be recognized and the Item Title can be changed to the Custom Date/Time Value thru the Form.

When a new Item is created it's Item Title value is selected so that you can Rename the Item simply by typing in a new name, or you can Ctrl-V if you have the desired value in the clipboard.

Why doesn't Alt-Z act more like Ctrl-V under these conditions?

One interesting aspect is that: from an existing Item, if you invoke Alt-Z a new child Item will be created and it's Item Title will be based on the Custom Date/Time settings.

Although this does provide for the assignment of the Alt-Z value to a new Item Title, to Rename an existing Item you would expect it to be as simple as F2, Alt-Z.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Alt+Z is the default shortcut for Edit | Insert Date+Time, which *inserts* the date/time. In the DE pane, this inserts a new item and titles it with the date/time. In a form field, item attributes pane, or details of a text item, it inserts the date/time into the focused field.

Item | Rename To | Date+Time/Date/Time is for renaming an *existing* item with the current date/time. You can connect these commands to keyboard shortcuts if desired (Tools | Customize | Keyboard).
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
In a form field, item attributes pane, or details of a text item, it inserts the date/time into the focused field.
OK, Alt-Z acts as an *insert*, and the behavior I'm seeing is as designed - except, in the Item Attributes Pane.

In the Item Attributes Pane, for Item Title or another String Attribute (for example Location), Alt-Z (using the Left Alt key) will not place a value (regardless of how many times I try), Alt-Z (using the Right Alt key) will place a value but only on the second invocation of Alt-Z. This is not unique to any particular urd.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Hmm, that always works the first time for me using either right or left Alt (Win XP SP2 w/ UR 3.2.6). What kind of keyboard do you have? Which version+SP of Windows? Which version of UR?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Ultra Recall Professional 3.2.6
Registered to: ...
Windows version: 5.1.2600.2.0
Install path: C:\Program Files\UltraRecall
EncryptPDF.dll version 3.0.0.2
mimepp.dll version 3.0.4
msptls.dll version
pdf2txt.dll version 3.1.0.4
PolarSpellChecker.dll version 4.0.5.4
riched20.dll version 12.0.4518.1014
SftPrintPreview_IX86_U_10.dll version 1.05
SftTree_IX86_U_50.dll version 5.06
UltraRecall.exe version 3.2.6.4
unins000.exe version 51.49.0.0
Database filename: ...
Database version: 3.0.13

XP Pro SP2

Keyboard:
Logitech Deluxe Model: YSU45

I'd say a fairly generic 102-104 PS2 keyboard; on the LH side there's a Win key between Ctrl and Alt, on the RH side there's a Win key and a Menu key (?) between Alt and Ctrl.

I first noticed this on my home system last night, but had not discovered the LH vs RH Alt-Z double entry situation until this morning at work - I don't know if the RH Alt-Z double entry will work at home (that keyboard is also fairly generic, not sure if it has the extra Win keys). The OS at home is the same as at work.

Last edited by ashwken; 01-30-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken

I'd say a fairly generic 102-104 PS2 keyboard; on the LH side there's a Win key between Ctrl and Alt, on the RH side there's a Win key and a Menu key (?) between Alt and Ctrl.
OK, the keyboard on my home system is similar, in fact it's so generic that it doesn't even have a manufacturer name.

As far as the UR Install Info is concerned the output is the same except for these additional lines on the home system:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsftEdit.dll version 5.41.15.1514
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RichEd20.dll version 5.30.23.1228

This may be due to a difference in MS Office versions, MS Office 2000 SP3 at home, something more recent at work.

Another difference between the two systems is that on the home system both the LH and RH Alt-Z work in the Item Attributes Pane, but it still takes a second invocation of Alt-Z to insert a value - either in a field with data (Item Title) or an initially blank field.

In regards to what's running in Residence (see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=3442), both systems are pretty much the same (I'm a minimalist in this sense) - running AVG Free on both, the home system runs Zone Alarm, and the office system runs whatever MS supplies.

Neither or these problems is earth-stopping now that they are known.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: