Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 AM

Indent level and tab stops

UR 3.5's rich text editor is much improved over the previous version. However, it's still limited in some frustrating ways.

Most important, I can't change the width of indent levels or tab stops. I write a lot of structured text, and the indent levels are waaaaaaaay too big, to the point of being useless. They appear to be about 50 pixels, regardless of font size, and to be the same size as tab stops. For useful indenting, I need a width about half or one-third that.

Well, I guess aligning indent levels to tab stops makes sense, but I'd really like to be able to customise the width. Most of the other standard paragraph formatting options, such as alignment and line spacing are provided. Indent level seems like a major omission.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM

Same suggestion here

I'm trying to use UR as a snippet manager, but copying and pasting code in can result in terrible formatting. I'd add that the outdent function is also a problem - it doesn't seem to work on the pasted code (for reasons I don't understand - isn't text pasted in with tab indents for formatting?).

I really like UltraRecall overall, and chose it after looking at many options. Fixing this, though, would really be useful.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM

Re: Same suggestion here

Quote:
Originally posted by muddude
I'm trying to use UR as a snippet manager, but copying and pasting code in can result in terrible formatting. I'd add that the outdent function is also a problem - it doesn't seem to work on the pasted code (for reasons I don't understand - isn't text pasted in with tab indents for formatting?).
in/out-denting doesn't work because UR uses it:

Tab
Go to the next control in the current Pane or the next pane if at the last control

Shift+Tab
Go to the previous control in the current Pane or the previous pane if at the first control

When I work with code, in/out-denting works no problem (tab/shift+tab) when I just open the UR item externaly (CTRL+J) ...

Many shortcuts can be customizes by user, but I'm not sure about tab/shift+tab, that's a question for Kinook
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
There's actually a work-around

Not particularly elegant, but the ability to save named text styles is the key.

Create a Word doc (I know, I know) with the styles you want - mildly indented, greatly indented, bulleted and gently indented, with spaces after paragraphs, whatever.

Copy and paste the document into an item's detail pane then, highlighting each formatted paragraph in turn, save a style based on that paragraph.

No question it would be a lot nicer to be able to train UR to apply the style buttons to work the way you want. I'm either getting less cranky (seems unlikely) or I so appreciate UR's value that little workarounds like this pale in comparison to the ease that the rest of the features bring to my working life.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Features vs. faults

I agree about the strengths of UR - perhaps that makes the faults even more irritating. UR is so flexible - I wonder if anyone at Kinook (are you listening Kinook?) has thought about the possibility of developing custom UIs to market the system to specific audiences. For example, my father is an artist - over 40 years of painting, he's done almost nothing to catalog his artwork or manage other facets of his business (history of shows, customers, etc.) I'm working on a UR database with forms, attributes, etc. suited to his needs.

I can think of a dozen other 'flavors' that this system could take on - maybe then they could hire a few more programmers to fix my indent problem.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

We've updated UR to use a smaller indent size (about 1/3 of what it was before -- UltraRecall.exe 3.5.4.7 in Help | About | Install Info after installing).

Unindenting of formatted rich text doesn't in Word either, so I suspect we can't support it with the MS rich text control. You should be able to just delete the tab indenting characters.

Pasting of formatted text works as expected from Visual Studio in our tests. What application are you pasting from that results in poor formatting?

The keyboard shortcuts for indent/unindent can be configured via Tools | Customize | Keyboard (the Tab key is reserved for inserting a tab character, but you can assign other combinations to the Format -> Increase/Decrease Indent commands).
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...zekeyboard.htm

And we intend to support configuring tab stops and indent size in a future release. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Configuring of tab stop widths and indent size is available in UR v4.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: