Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 AM

Your Windows Layout in UR

Hi,

I thought it would be interesting to see how you have arranged all windows in UR for your convenience.

See my screenshot attached to this post. This is my 'workhorse' layout.

Thanks!

Dominik
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM

nisced,

Your UR window is absolutely amazing. BTW, The task form appears to be re-designed by you as well. I also notice your URD is exclusively devoted to tasks management. Do you maintain multiple URDs? But how? Thanks for sharing your design with us.

Armstrong

Last edited by armsys; 05-15-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Hi Dominik,

few points on your design from my point of view:

- the search pane is on the left, but the search bar somewhere in the middle.

- the same with data explorer, the buttons to manipulate the data explorer are on the different place (at bottom). These few buttons at bottom are taking the whole line, too much precious space wasted. Also, I don't see any "favourites", maybe this bar could be used for that

- data explorer pane seems to be quite wide, it this because the names of items are too long or do you have very deep tree? I see that there is a vertical bar but not the horizontal one, so I'd think the pane should have bigger height and maybe smaller width

- seems like you have your own form to manipulate most frequently used attributes, therefore the attribute pane being visible all the time is probably only taking space and too distracting

- the same with calendar. I'd understand to be able to see the calendar all the time if we were able to navigate through it, but unfortunately it's kind of "passive". Also now that one has calendar in drop-down menu, seems again only taking space ...

But all the things above could be really totally irrelevant to you, cause the layout very much depends on your work style ...
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Hi Dominik & quant,

First of all, I stick to UR's default layout such that now I can nearly blindly click intended menu buttons for all URDs without being distracted by a variety of dizzying designs. After all, I find UR's default layout is highly logical and efficient. I reserve Layout 3 (F12) to display exclusively the Item Detail. I like to keep UR layout simple, fast, and easy to use.

Second, I agree with Quant's view in respect of Calendar. It wastes valuable space. It can be invoked on demand by pressing Alt+C. Also I use UR and Outlook together as my trusted system. So the persistent display of the calendar may not be important to me.

In any case, I still find Dominik's UR layout design fantastic.

Dominik, you may have already known that tasks in UR can be inserted anywhere. Tasks can be attached to Appointment, Contacts, Notes, Documents,...etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Armstrong
Old 05-17-2008, 12:04 AM

quant,
amrsys,

Many thanks for your interesting comments!

Indeed, there is room for imrpovements especially regarding the toolbars. I haven't changed the position of the toolbars so far and, like you armsys, I exactly know where the buttons are. But I will move one ore two toolbars to reduce the travel distance or the mouse.

Yes, I know that I can add tasks everywhere. But I prefer to have all tasks in one folder so I don't have to think about where they are. Thanks to logical linking, I can link a task to any other place in the file.

The Item Attributes pane is open most of the time because of data manipulation. But when I am wirting a longer text then I hide it.

My workhorse file is clearly task-centered. But it contains project and contact data, a lot of notes and the most important links I need for work. Last but not least, it is a Windows Explorer replacement for the file management.

The structure of the file is changing constantly. UR gives me nearly every day a new idea for my proejct and task management.

Last but not least: The performance in v3.5 has improved a lot with the release from the 15th May.

Dominik

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: