Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 AM

PDF won't just link

I'm using the Ultra Recall Professional trial version, and am trying for the first time to import a PDF file from the web. What I'd like to do is store the file contents in Ultra Recall, but have the Item display a link whereby I can view the (local) PDF in Adobe Reader (outside of Ultra Recall).

However, even though ".pdf" is not among the extensions listed in the Browser tab of Tools-Options, when I select the PDF Item which I imported, it displays the plain text (stripped of formatting) of the PDF file in Ultra Recall. I can press Ctrl-J to open the PDF in Adobe Reader, but I'd prefer to see just a link rather than a bunch of useless, unformatted text which takes a good 10 seconds to load.

Why is it displaying the plain text of the PDF file, and how can I make it display just a link instead?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 AM

go to Options->Documents->File extensions to edit externally, and add .pdf

But you may prefer to add .pdf into Option->Browser->File extensions to display internally ... and use lightweight pdf viewer Foxit Reader, so that you can view your pdf files inside UR
Old 08-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks, quant - that did it!

The reason I prefer to view PDFs externally is I have a small screen, and the F11/F12 shortcuts in Ultra Recall don't work reliably when I'm viewing a PDF internally, whether with FoxIt or Adobe Reader. So by launching the PDF in an external viewer, I can view it in the full screen width without any fuss.

Also, at least on the one document I tried, Adobe's font kerning is darker and more readable than FoxIt's, at the same zoom level (100%).
Old 08-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mmacauley

The reason I prefer to view PDFs externally is I have a small screen, and the F11/F12 shortcuts in Ultra Recall don't work reliably when I'm viewing a PDF internally, whether with FoxIt or Adobe Reader. So by launching the PDF in an external viewer, I can view it in the full screen width without any fuss.

Also, at least on the one document I tried, Adobe's font kerning is darker and more readable than FoxIt's, at the same zoom level (100%).
it's because it steals the focus, if you click on data explorer, then the layout change should work. The font darkness might be related to Foxit setting, "display optimized for LCD screen" ...
In any case, you can view it internally, and use CTRL+J if you want to view it externally ...
Old 08-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Mmacauley, Just FYI, are you aware that you can easily set up different URp views that you can switch to w a single click?

Example, to see pdf inside UR, you could switch to a view that has browser full screen, all other panes hidden or closed.

It's not going to be much different from viewing it externally as far as size is concerned.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Mmacauley, Just FYI, are you aware that you can easily set up different URp views that you can switch to w a single click?
I think he is as he mentions F11 and F12 default shortcuts, the problems is that the application steals focus so they do not work unless you return the focus to UR ...
Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Right. I suppose I could add a button to the toolbar for one of the Layout (Layout 1, Layout 2, etc.) commands. But that's not quite as handy as a keyboard shortcut.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Right. I suppose I could add a button to the toolbar for one of the Layout (Layout 1, Layout 2, etc.) commands. But that's not quite as handy as a keyboard shortcut.
F11, etc are based on how you customize your pane display.

So if your pane is not set to your liking, F11 will simply display something that you don't like. Each layout command, button, etc can be assigned a keyboard shortcut.

But if you know all this already, sorry.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:46 AM

janrif, FYI:
Quote:
Originally posted by quant
the problems is that the application steals focus so they [keyboard shortcuts] do not work unless you return the focus to UR ...
Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 AM

This has not been my experience.