Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 08-03-2007, 02:23 PM

calendar, sql database features, attribute calculation (user defined functions) ...

sth from UR competition http://www.sqlnotes.net/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I didn't even try it, but the very first features it mentions in the description would be very welcomed in UR:
# User defined functions
# Field calculations
# Hierarchy calculations (sums, averages, etc)

Plus the calendar feature is exactly how I'd love it implemented in UR, please see attached. It seems that the code for that part is done by another company, the screenshots tell everything http://www.codejock.com/downloads/sa...r_calendardemo
Attached Images

Last edited by quant; 01-14-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:24 AM

quant,

UltraRecall uses some of the controls from that company as well:
http://www.codejock.com/corporate/casestudy/kinook.asp

So I it is possible that the calendar control will be added to UR one day.

Dominik
Old 08-04-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nisced
quant,

UltraRecall uses some of the controls from that company as well:
http://www.codejock.com/corporate/casestudy/kinook.asp

So I it is possible that the calendar control will be added to UR one day.

Dominik
I didn't know that ... now we only have to convince Kinook to get the Xtreme CalendarPro module and include it in UR
And I'm sure it would attract some new users who need powerful PIM with Outlook-like "Task Management" features and frontend.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 AM

hey, but Kinook bought Xtreme ToolkitPro that already contains Xtreme CalendarPro, ... so Kinook what are you waiting for? :-)

I have a feeling that this feature will not be implemented until the next big (paid) release for UR 4.x, cause it is such a nice feature that has a good potential to "convince" old user to upgrade ;-)

Last edited by quant; 08-04-2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:48 PM

quant,

Each new feature added to a working software increases the possibility to add a bug or to make it unstable.

A software developer has to test the software constantly to make sure that it still works properly after adding a new feature. I suppose that kinook is planning to add that calendar control.

It is not enough to develop for Windows XP SP2 today. The software has to work on Win2000, Win XP and Vista. In the case of the calendar control it has to work with UR (of course!) and with Outook 2000, 2003 and 2007 at least. Adding the code is not that difficult and time consuming but the testing fine tuning needs a lot of time.

That's the reason that kinook can't just add the calendar. But I think it is fair to expect it in v4.

Dominik
Old 10-26-2007, 05:26 PM

I couldn't resist the urge to refresh this thread, cause every time I do ALT+C, tears are coming into my eyes ... ;-)

http://www.codejock.com/public/asset...ar/tour_11.gif
Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Are you serious?

You really want Kinook to replace the cute little calendar we now have w that big colorful thing? Geeez.

Well, I guess you are entitled to a senior moment. ;-)
Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
You really want Kinook to replace the cute little calendar we now have w that big colorful thing? Geeez.
Definitely. I've finally given up and am moving all my time sensitive notes to Outlook. The little crappy useless modeless hardly-cute-at-all calender is doing my nut in. I need to be able to visualise my tasks in a form my brain can quickly understand. A proper calendar.

It's sad as I do love UR and will continue to use UR but all my scheduling is now going to Outlook until Kinook can produce a decent useable calendar.

It should be a priority - a calendar is one of (if not the) the core components of self-organisation and I'm disappointed it is not higher up the priority list on the published RoadMap.

Dan
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 AM

It was a joke
Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 AM

forgive me janrif - i do not know you so was not sure if you were just having your own "senior moment"... =)
Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by danson
forgive me janrif - i do not know you so was not sure if you were just having your own "senior moment"... =)
No problem. Next time I'll add <joke> <grin> <chuckle> <laugh> instead of just a ;-)

The real problem is the current calendar is ridiculous & we have no news that Kyle plans to change this any time soon. Maybe it'll be a xmas surprise... ;-)

Last edited by janrif; 11-08-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 PM

All options (except hierarchy calculations, not sure what those are) mentioned in the opening post get my vote!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM

I don't see URp and SQLNotes being in competition but complementary.

If both are based on a database, URp is geared toward single-user information integration (text, web, email, files and folders). SQLNotes is more geared towards organizing (text, numbers, dates, database-like lists, web), analyzing (calculations, summaries), sharing (multi-user) and project management (tasks, due dates, Gantt)
Old 01-14-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pplandry
I don't see URp and SQLNotes being in competition but complementary.

If both are based on a database, URp is geared toward single-user information integration (text, web, email, files and folders). SQLNotes is more geared towards organizing (text, numbers, dates, database-like lists, web), analyzing (calculations, summaries), sharing (multi-user) and project management (tasks, due dates, Gantt)
Pierre,

quite on the contrary. They are a big competition! While the calculation/summaries/multi user (on the roadmap) features are non-existent at the moment, UR can be well used for project management as well (task, due dates, ...) with full featured Calendar hopefully coming soon (incidentally using the same software provider.)

It's going to be a close race, you're doing a good job with SQLNotes!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
[snip] UR can be well used for project management as well (task, due dates, ...) with full featured Calendar hopefully coming soon (incidentally using the same software provider.) [/snip]
I don't understand something. With people asking, maybe even begging for a calendar, when codejockey provides an inexpensive package, it can't be that much work to integrate it,

IMO it would immediately take URp out of the geeky category & put it into the sights of a wider user base.

I don't understand why it's such a long term project. Maybe it's not so simple but it would sure be great to get this calendar sooner than later. Speaking for myself: I'd even pay a reasonable upgrade fee for such an option.

For those interested, take a look @ codejockey's package at http://www.codejock.com/products/calendar/default.asp

Kinook is currently featured at Codejockey's home page.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: