Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
nope - it has fully customizable attribute sets and attributes - rather similar to UR
ok, I'll have a look. I wonder why then they explain everything with the help of keywords and not by setting attributes, for example GTD http://www.kworkshop.com/blogs/gtd.shtm
Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM

Re: UR alternative

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
I have turned to using Knowledge Workshop - http://www.kworkshop.com/ - its broadly similar to UR - plus is has the huge advantage of providing full text search and highlighting search results across everything - web pages, documents (pdf, MS office) -

Development is active.
It does look like a good alternative should I need to move from UR, but I probably won't choose KW. Why? Because of the product activation scheme among other reasons. I have seen too many companies vanish and where would that leave someone's data (or continued use of the program) when it comes time to upgrade your machine?

Jon
Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 PM

especially you can not export the data, you are depending from kw This is a ko criterium

Last edited by Pierrebln; 11-10-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pierrebln
especially you can not export the data, you are depending from kw This is a ko criterium
You can export to xml, but that is no solution for me.

Jon
Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 PM

in KW you can export to web - it works a lot better than UR
Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 AM

Exporting to xml would be the preferred way to go should you want to retain SOME of the functionality and relationships of your database. To my knowledge, exporting to html will lose even more.

While you can use xml to back up your database, most users who perform backups will not do this. It would be an additional and unnecessary step in the backup routine (the data is already backed up using the original data files). I worry about software with activation. The user trusts that the company will still be in business when upgrading hardware. This is not guaranteed, so access to your data may be lost. Some software companies claim that the product will continue to function as a viewer of existing data. This is better, but you cannot do anything further with it.

I wish KW would forego activation. I am tempted, but not foolhardy. Especially after what I have experienced here and with other companies.

Jon
Old 11-12-2008, 12:30 PM

why don't you email them and express your concern:

service@lmsweb.com - they are very responsive and quick to respond
Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 PM

I already did when I was exploring this program. Stephen was very informative and courteous, but the bottom line is that this is the way they prevent piracy. In the event the company vanishes, they will contract with a third party to handle the activations. I don't doubt the honorable intentions, but the circumstances by which a company ceases to exist will dictate what can be done for their customers and for how long.

Microsoft and other large companies use activation and I personally hate it. But there is a difference in scale and customer base. I don't lose sleep over them.

Jon
Old 11-14-2008, 03:29 AM

xml not help me, I need the data in realformat,
kw cannot drag and drop the data to windows explorer,
kw has some good features but it is not a alternatively to ur for me
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 AM

What's going on is such a shame as UR is so near to being the perfect all-in-one.

Searching across multiple databases & integrating a calendar would do it for me.

Are there other things that can be improved, added or tweaked? You betcha but UR's got more basic bones in place & is the most reliable app in the category IMO.

It's just slightly un-finished for the average user.

I have maintained over the development of several of these type programs that a well integrated calendar is essential to greater market interest. The reason is simple: everyone knows, understands & uses a calendar every day. There is no learning curve. A calendar is friendly.

I'm glad to see SQL has realized this & is focused on it's integration into SQLnotes (or InfoQube). In my heart of hearts I wish Kinook would do the same.

But much like Zoot, IMO few are going to wait around for years for this kind of development despite so many other great program attributes.

Yes there are still many people using EccoPro & yes, there will still be people ussing URp many years from now but I think -- sadly -- URp will not achieve it's piece of the pie w/o further development.

I look to IDImager -- a one man company in Holland -- that captured the DAM market from far bigger competitors in the crowded market of digital photograhy by having a constantly evolving product, listening to his customer base, providing excellent & friendly support. And he just been rewarded with an infusion of funds from Silicon Valley. So it can be done.

There have been so many twists & turns in Kinooks publiic pronouncements & actions over the past weeks, maybe there will be yet one more turn of events & they will get back to work on UltraRecall.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Janrif I agree with you and hope Kinook have a change of mind especially about Searching across multiple databases & integrating a calendar.

I have tried lots of other programs including those mentioned in this forum, I was using ask sam before using UR but none worked better for me than UR.

I think too many people were suggesting "improvements" that while it would make the program "better" for them would only clog the program down for most other users.

As the program is at the moment it does the job better than other programs but that does not mean there is no room for improvements.

Kinook please re-consider and keep development going on UR
Old 11-14-2008, 09:19 AM

UR Forever

Kinook, UR is a couple of upgrades away from being the next killer App. Right up there with Spreadsheets, Word Processing, Internet browsing, etc.

The addition of a calendar and the ability to assign security to info items so that it can be used in a business setting would propel UR to strategic weapon status.

Regards
Old 11-14-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eno
Janrif I agree with you and hope Kinook have a change of mind especially about Searching across multiple databases ...
I see that this is asked by quite many users, but I still don't get it. My question is, what kind of info are you looking for that you think it might be in any of your databases, instead of some particular one?

Quote:
Originally posted by eno
I think too many people were suggesting "improvements" that while it would make the program "better" for them would only clog the program down for most other users.
I'd have agreed if the speed of software development was faster than the speed at which the hardware is being improved. This is hardly the case, the exception proves this rule: Vista
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Re: UR Forever

Quote:
Originally posted by MVFF
Kinook, UR is a couple of upgrades away from being the next killer App.
My next killer app will be one that will perfectly blend data management with its visual representation. Kinook removed that part from roadmap, and UR is sooooo close. Seems that I will have to wait a few years till that kind of application will come from other way around. Mindmappers are getting better and better, so I hope programs like The Brain and the like will improve on data management side with proper database backend and reimplement most of the PIM features.

Last edited by quant; 11-14-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Great News!!! UR decided to incorporate The Brain visualisation using their SDK, http://www.thebrain.com/#-49
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: