Kinook Software Forums

Go Back   Kinook Software Forums > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-27-2007, 06:39 AM
ferp_ferp ferp_ferp is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 05-15-2007
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Long time to copy web page to UR

Hi,

I find the 'copy to Ultra Recall' really useful in IE and Firefox. However, it routinely takes 30-45 seconds to complete the process - sometimes longer. Even the 'copy link to UR' takes about 20 seconds. Even simple pages take this long.

I've seen another post on this topic, but no resolution. Should it take this long? I have a fast PC (3ghz dual core, lots of memory).

Any idea why this should be the case?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:20 AM
quant's Avatar
quant quant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 11-30-2006
Posts: 967
please give an example of the website a state how long it took to link and to store (and please state whether you are indexing). The least we can do is to compare ...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 AM
ferp_ferp ferp_ferp is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 05-15-2007
Location: UK
Posts: 9
OK, so I copied this page (as in, this forum post) with Firefox.

First time it got to 120 seconds and still hadn't finished but I noticed my anti-virus was churning away a bit so I cancelled the copy and disabled my anti-virus (Kaspersky 7). It then took 38 seconds.

To send a link to UR was much quicker - 5 seconds. I guess it normally takes longer when I have the anti-virus enabled.

But still, 38 seconds is still a long time for a small page, even when the anti-virus turned off (which I obviously don't want to do if I can help it). It is just as slow with IE.

I used to use Windows Onecare and it was similarly slow to copy and link.

I'm using UR 3.2.1 and database size is 22mb. I compacted it this morning.

I assume that the anti-virus is causing part of the slow-down then, but why would it still be quite slow when the AV is turned off?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 AM
quant's Avatar
quant quant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 11-30-2006
Posts: 967
old 1.6 pentium centrino with 1GB RAM:

4 seconds to store (with indexing, 176 keywords)
<2 to link

Antivirus: Nod32 running
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,758
Quote:
Originally posted by ferp_ferp
OK, so I copied this page (as in, this forum post) with Firefox.

First time it got to 120 seconds and still hadn't finished but I noticed my anti-virus was churning away a bit so I cancelled the copy and disabled my anti-virus (Kaspersky 7). It then took 38 seconds.

To send a link to UR was much quicker - 5 seconds. I guess it normally takes longer when I have the anti-virus enabled.

But still, 38 seconds is still a long time for a small page, even when the anti-virus turned off (which I obviously don't want to do if I can help it). It is just as slow with IE.

I used to use Windows Onecare and it was similarly slow to copy and link.

I'm using UR 3.2.1 and database size is 22mb. I compacted it this morning.

I assume that the anti-virus is causing part of the slow-down then, but why would it still be quite slow when the AV is turned off?
UR uses the same underlying APIs as IE to retrieve web pages, so if IE is slow it makes sense that UR is also slow. The solution would be to determine why IE is slow and fix that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 AM
ferp_ferp ferp_ferp is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 05-15-2007
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Hmm, OK. So does UR use the same API when I copy from Firefox?

Aside from that, I don't find IE to be slow at all. It renders pages as quickly as I would expect - ie. with very little delay.

Quote:
Originally posted by ferp_ferp
But still, 38 seconds is still a long time for a small page, even when the anti-virus turned off (which I obviously don't want to do if I can help it). It is just as slow with IE.
Anything else I can try? Is there some logging I can switch on?

Last edited by ferp_ferp; 08-27-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,758
1) Exit UR
2) Download and extract http://www.kinook.com/Download/test.zip to the UR installation path
3) Start UR
4) Perform the steps that result in the slow import
5) ZIP and send %TEMP%\ks_trace.txt (literally type %TEMP% into a Windows Explorer address bar to navigate there) to support@kinook.com

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 AM
ferp_ferp ferp_ferp is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 05-15-2007
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Done and done.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,758
Standard Windows internet API calls are very slow on your system (200 to 4000 milliseconds vs. 1 to 2 milliseconds in our tests). I'm not sure what would be causing that. Here are some possibilities:
http://www.google.com/search?q=internetconnect%20slow
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:32 AM
ferp_ferp ferp_ferp is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 05-15-2007
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Hmm, thanks for the response. I don't know why either. I had Kaspersky completely turned off when I did the trace file.

The link above just goes to a list of WinInet functions - is it the right link?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,758
That was the wrong link. It's fixed now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
ferp_ferp ferp_ferp is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 05-15-2007
Location: UK
Posts: 9
OK, thanks. I don't have a slow internet connection in general however. As I said in my mail, I routinely get 500K/s download speeds and pages load quickly in IE and FF.

Maybe it's a Vista issue, maybe not. I guess I've lived with it this long I can live with it a bit longer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-30-2007, 02:58 AM
bookman bookman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 11-18-2005
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally posted by ferp_ferp
OK, thanks. I don't have a slow internet connection in general however. As I said in my mail, I routinely get 500K/s download speeds and pages load quickly in IE and FF.

Maybe it's a Vista issue, maybe not. I guess I've lived with it this long I can live with it a bit longer.
Frankly, I cannot understand it the slow copy either

See below which is from an earlier thread which is contrasting UR webpage copy speed with two other programs :


Kinook Software Forums - Why does Ultra Recall take so much longer to save a webpage ?
"Why does Ultra Recall take so much longer to save a webpage ?

Besides Ultra Recall, I use two other program to capture webpages. I'm actually trying to settle on 1 or 2 but not using all 3.

Ideally, I would like to stick with just 1 and hopefully I would like to settle on just using Ultra Recall.

And both these other programs are much faster at the webpage captures.

For example, it may take Ultra Recall a full 12 full seconds, Program A, 1 sec and Program B 3 secs.

Program A also indexes the captures and I can search for the article instantaneously.

Program B also indexes the captures except that it does not do instantaneous search. I have to type the keyword and hit enter.

I'm just plain curious - Why the big difference ?"
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2926
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,758
Most likely, it is the same issue (standard Windows internet API calls returning very slowly). UR has no control over how quickly those function calls return. I'm not sure what would be causing it. Perhaps some security software is singling out UR and causing the slow behavior.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:24 AM
bookman bookman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 11-18-2005
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Most likely, it is the same issue (standard Windows internet API calls returning very slowly). UR has no control over how quickly those function calls return. I'm not sure what would be causing it. Perhaps some security software is singling out UR and causing the slow behavior.
But the point I'm trying to make is that the other two programs do it much faster and in fact one of them which also uses a Button on the Explorer bar is the quickest of the lot - almost instantaneous whether from IE or Firefox itself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Copyright 1999-2019 Kinook Software, Inc.