Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 10:13 AM

UR minimizes at startup

UR minimizes inmediately after starting up, although I have "Minimize application window at startup" in Tools, Option... General disabled. I have the same problem in my PC with Win2000 and in my laptop with WinXP, UR 1.3b.

Leoram
Old 09-06-2005, 11:27 AM

Not sure, we haven't had any other reports of this behaviour. Can you confirm that the shortcut(s) you are using to launch Ultra Recall are not configured to start Ultra Recall minimized?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:22 PM

The shortcut is set to Normal Window. The options available are:

Normal Window
Minimized
Maximized

I tried Maximized and it seems to work now, but, wait a minute! it should also work at Normal Window too, after all I didn't change these options when I installed UR on my two systems. Also, I checked this for all other software shortcuts, Outlook, Word, Adobe Reader, etc. and they are all set to Normal Window, however, they open maximized. Is this behaviour of opening minimized while set to Normal Window peculiar to UR?

Leoram
Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM

It sounds like something might be messed up with Windows on your machine, if a shortcut for anything is set to Normal, then the application should start normal (not maximized)... As I stated earlier, there is nothing special about how Ultra Recall starts up, and we are not aware of any other user experiencing the startup behaviour you describe.

I am not sure what is wrong, but it sounds like setting the shortcut to Maximized made Ultra Recall open as expected. Is that accurate?

Anyone else out there seeing the reported behaviour with Ultra Recall? If so, please let us know and also include your Windows version, configuration, etc...
Old 09-08-2005, 08:03 AM

I suggest that you please look into this carefully for I'm sure there´s no mess in my two systems. I normally don't tweak my OS. It is strange though that only UR has this behaviour.

Leoram
Old 09-08-2005, 02:13 PM

My Windows 2000 Server with SP4 machine shows this exact same behavior. I am glad to find the "maximized" work-around. This was a real annoyance. As far as I know, UR is the only app on my system that exhibits this behavior.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:20 AM

One thing. The maximize alternative only seems to work for the shortcut you set up for this purpose. If you use another one, say, you start another UR database from its own icon, you'll have the annoyance. It is good to know (to my consolation) there's at least another user with the same problem. It is probable that other users have faced this behaviour.

Leoram
Old 09-09-2005, 07:53 AM

I observe the same behavior with XP. It is, however, dependent on UR's window state when I shutdown my computer. If UR is minimized at shutdown, UR immediately minimizes after computer startup. If UR is maximized, it remains maximized after startup.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:02 PM

Currently Ultra Recall does restart minimized if it was last shutdown (last instance) minimized (as was mentioned in the previous post).

Could this be what is causing the unexpected minimized startup others are experiencing? If not, after reviewing the code, our best guess is that something external to Ultra Recall is causing Ultra Recall to be minimized before closing.

Regardless, the next version of Ultra Recall will remove the feature of starting minimized depending on whether it was last shutdown minimized...
Old 09-09-2005, 02:33 PM

Kevin:

Yes, that could be the problem. Shutting down UR while minimized might be the trick. I Performed this test: I shut down UR maximized and next time I start it up it opens maximized. It happens this way regardless of the UR icon I use.

Anyway it would be fine that the next version of UR will remove the "feature" of starting minimized if it was last shutdown minimized.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:29 AM

When I open the first db (from an application shortcut or from within windows explorer), it opens maximized (as it was closed down maximized before). When I open the second, third.. db, it opens normal (not maximized), so that I have to maximize each of them. Sometimes even the first db opened goes from maximized to normal, but not always. Changing the shortcut properties does not change this behaviour. I would prefer if in future versions all db's open maximized. I use XPsp2.

Clemens