Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Auto-complete values from other items???

Greetings!

I'm in Tools, Attributes..., Properties..., Auto-complete values from other items.

The question is, when and how should I use this feature? What exactly does it do? I go to Help and the text that explains this option does not provide any details and doesn't have an example. Please excuse my ignorance if it is obvious for other users but I don't know what it is for. Will you please elaborate a little further on this? Thanks.

Leoram
Old 09-22-2005, 09:14 AM

There is an attribute pre-defined called Country (used by the Contact template). We didn't populate the list values for this attribute with every country name, the list would be huge and inapplicable to the average user (each user would only use a very small subset of the loaded values).

If the Auto-Complete from other Items option is checked, then as you populate the Country attribute with different country names as you use Ultra Recall, the list of values that have been assigned this attribute (for all items) will be used for auto-completion of that attribute.

Assume you have Info Items with the following values assigned to the Country attribute: USA, Canada, Mexico, Russia, Spain. If you add another Contact Info Item, the Country attribute will auto-populate (as you edit the attribute value) with these five country names (along with any list values you have assigned to the Country attribute).

Is that clear?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Does Auto-Complete from other Items only work with fields on the Contact template? Please educate me a little more as this seems an interesting and critical feature. Thanks.

Leoram
Old 09-22-2005, 09:48 AM

If either the List Values list contains entries and/or the Auto-Complete from other items option is checked, then you will get a drop-down button (right side of the entry field) wherever you can edit this attribute value (for any template in the Item Attributes pane, or the Item Details pane for Contacts).

If the drop-down button is visible, you can use the drop-down to choose a prepared value (either a List Value and/or the value from another Info Item) or you can type it in (it will auto-complete as you type from the same list of values).

Note: If the Restrict values to list option is checked, then the only acceptable values for this attribute are the List Value entries.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:37 AM

Thanks Kevin.

It is undoubtedly a good feature.

Leoram