Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 10-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Lightbulb UR as an e-Book maker

It would be fine to incorporate e-book making capability into UltraRecall. Other PIMs and content management programs do this and it is quite interesting, among them we can count MyBase, TreeDBNotes and others. I know I can send or distribute an urd file to other people that don't have UR installed on their machines but they have to install UR Viewer in order to be able to open it. Many are reluctant about installing a program on their machines just to see a file. The e-book that MyBase creates are auto- executables and donīt need any viewer. Those e-books recreate exactly the whole tree in the database, or any level as you can select which brand (node) to convert into an executable. They are also read-only as many e-books are and some are password-protected. An UR e-book is not only interesting for distributing materials to others, it is also useful for the UR licensed user him/herself as he/she can use the e-book as a read-only InfoItem of an UR database (could be great if keyworded.)

Is this to difficult to implement or can we have any hope on this?

Leoram
Old 10-10-2005, 08:36 AM

We haven't investigated the 'ebook creator' functionality of the products you mention, but I believe what you are requesting would be fairly complex and would result in a large executable 'ebook' (it would have to include much of the Ultra Recall functionality + the exported portion of the Info Database).
Old 10-11-2005, 08:22 AM

Thanks for your reply Kevina. I want to take this further though as I think this is one of the things that would surely strengthen UR position among all the existent top-of-the-line PIMs.

ebook making capability is gaining interest as it is normally easy to export some materials from our database for wide distribution. Just imagine the impact that an UR created eBook would produce.

In my humbly opinion I don't think you have to integrate much of the functionality that a full-featured UR has; just the ones needed for the eBook to be read and searched. Many of the options would be grayed (not allowed). I can go even further on this but for the very open-minded I think reasoning would suffice.

Leoram

Last edited by Leoram; 10-11-2005 at 08:35 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: