Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Deleting logical links is a bit weird

I was just messing around with logical links for the first time. (I had been playing with another product, PersonalBrain, which looks like a lot of fun and all, but lacks a lot of the database sophistication of UR.) Anyway, they make a very big deal of their network structure which, of course, UR provides using Logical Links.

I decided to try deleting Logical Links and the link indicators didn't go away. Then I looked at the parent panel for the items I unlinked and the Recycle Bin was in there - very confusing until I realized that the logical instances of the items I removed had been sent to the recycle bin.

I see what's happening but I have mixed feelings about the way this works. I wonder if you could have an option setting that prevents links through the Recycle Bin from being indicated in the node icon or shown in the Parent panel unless you actually focus on items in the Recycle Bin. The default for the option would be "Don't Show Them". As an experienced UR user, I naturally know that nothing is deleted without going through the Recycle Bin and having that little link indicator stick is quite misleading.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Use Shift+Delete to delete a logical link permanently (bypassing the Recycle Bin).
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Re: Deleting logical links is a bit weird

thinking about it, what is the use of "Also delete permanently" when shift+delete is used on the logical link that has link to an external file. Apparently it doesn't do anything, so I suppose that option should be removed from the dialogue in that case ...
Old 04-09-2008, 02:11 AM

Re: Re: Deleting logical links is a bit weird

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
thinking about it, what is the use of "Also delete permanently" when shift+delete is used on the logical link that has link to an external file. Apparently it doesn't do anything, so I suppose that option should be removed from the dialogue in that case ...
It would appear that there is only one dialog available when Shift-Delete is invoked, regardless of whether the Item is logically linked.

A user should also be aware that if the "Also delete permanently (external file)..." option is checked, the option will retain the checked value for the next invocation of Shift-Delete. Could lead to some heartache if you're not paying attention (or using macros).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: