Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-20-2007, 11:03 AM

UR3 DLL/EXE Exception on Startup

I've started experiencing startup exceptions in UR.

After installing UR 3.0.4.0 over the top of UR 2.x all ran fine for a few weeks and then a USER32.DLL exception dialog started popping up immediately after startup. I then installed UR 3.1 over the top of 3.0.4.0 and am now getting a different startup exception in UltraRecall.exe (the USER32 error no longer occurs.)

See attached JPG of error dialogs.

I have installed other software during this period, so might there be a DLL version conflict going on here?? How can I check?

Thanks
Maynard
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

I'm pretty sure the API mentioned in the first error message would never be called by UR itself. Could something be hooking itself in the UR process and interfering with UR? I notice that your screen shots have a non-standard look and feel. Are you using some Windows extender such as WindowBlinds? Does UR continue to function normally after the error is displayed?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 AM

hey kinook.

I'm running Stardock IconPackager 3.1 but not WindowBlinds. Not sure how that hooks into the OS... Once UR loads it runs fine; no problemo. I only see the USER32.DLL error dialog when UR starts.

thanks for the help.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 PM

More Info.

The exception also occurs when I open other databases after UR is already up and running; so it seems to have something to do with opening the file.

Also. I neglected to mention that in addition to using IconPackager I also have a VisualStyles theme, CodeOpus from DeviantArt installed.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Any ideas on what might have changed on the box (software installed/update, Windows updates, etc.) when this started happening (and does undoing any of those changes help?)?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 AM

OK. I found the following thread regarding this issue:
http://groups.google.fr/group/micros...e00f0300aa94f5

Basically, it looks like a Vista dll, dwmapi.dll, is possibly getting installed with IE7 that causes the following error message when UR starts. I'm also seeing the same error with a couple of other apps.

"The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.DLL"

I renamed dwmapi.dll to dwmapi.dll.bak and the error disappeared in UR, but God only knows what else that will affect. While running IE7 inside of UR there does not seem to be any problems.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: