Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-15-2007, 07:39 PM

printing question

so I wanted to print a contact form/attributes, details & notes but how? It appeared I could not select an entire record at one time. Instead I had to go back 3x. Could this be for such a program as URp?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 PM

Depending on the contents of the Detail Pane, it seems that UR comes up a little short on printed output.

If the Detail Pane is a Form the Print | Item Detail will not output anything. It will Print | Item Attributes for such a record, but this is essentially the Item Attributes Pane in printout (and sorting).

If the Detail Pane is a Form you can File | Export | to RTF which will give you the Item Title then a line for each FeildName: FeildData for each feild that has data from the Form (sorted in Form order).

There is a discussion here on exporting to html, From FAQ - Exporting:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2054

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2104

If you're working mainly with data (Attributes, Forms), and not so much text, CSV Export is probably going to give you the most flexibility on the presentation side - I believe CSV has a 254-character limit.

As far as I can tell you need to pull the data into something that will give you a access to Report Layout for the data.

If you have access to MS Word a custom mailing label may be worth exploring, otherwise you'll need to pull the CSV into a database program and use its Reporting module.

Or may be there's something that will let you work the oml / xls output.

Later,
KenA
Old 04-16-2007, 02:26 AM

I had similar problems several times, ... and wrote several times here that export/printing part of UR needs more features ...

Kinook is right that the fact we have attributes, items details/item notes, makes it not easy to come up with print that would satisfy everyone. For cataloging DVDs, which also uses attributes/data combinations, I use http://www.whereisit-soft.com/ which has a very nice and flexible "report generator", maybe Kinook should get a clue from there,
http://www.whereisit-soft.com/snap6.gif
http://www.whereisit-soft.com/snap7.gif

And regarding HTML export as well. I didnt know whether I should smile or cry when I was reading how to get HTML export (this should definitely be a standard export option), ... do this/ edit this file/ copy sth/ ... ??? Again, I know that there are 100s ways for HTML layouts and data organization of HTML page, but Kinook should provide at least few of them in the standard export directly to HTML ... without user intervention and tweaking xml files ... MyBase for example does it very nicely ...
Old 04-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

If focus is in a form field, print/preview will print the form attributes and any rich text in the detail view. If focus is in the rich text area of the form, print/preview will print the rich text of the item. If focus is in another pane, choosing Item Details on the Print/Preview dialog will print the form attributes and any rich text in the detail view.

Item notes cannot currently be printed with the form+rich text. It can be printed separately via Print with the Notes pane focused or by choosing Item Notes when printing with another pane (except Details) focused.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Item notes cannot currently be printed with the form+rich text. It can be printed separately via Print with the Notes pane focused or by choosing Item Notes when printing with another pane (except Details) focused.
sad
Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
If focus is in a form field, print/preview will print the form attributes and any rich text in the detail view. If focus is in the rich text area of the form, print/preview will print the rich text of the item. If focus is in another pane, choosing Item Details on the Print/Preview dialog will print the form attributes and any rich text in the detail view.
My apologies for the incorrect information, to print the contents of a Form focus must be on the Detail Pane, then the print function will give you the contents of the form for all feilds that have data present.

If focus is on an Item in the Data Explorer Pane, and that Item contains a Form, then Print | Item Detail will not print anything, but Print | Item Attributes will give you pritned output same as the Item Attributes Display.

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
And regarding HTML export as well. I didnt know whether I should smile or cry when I was reading how to get HTML export (this should definitely be a standard export option), ... do this/ edit this file/ copy sth/ ... ???
Yes, it would almost be easier to just distrubute the UR data file and the UR viewer.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
It doesn't amaze me. It's just a classic database with a decent frontend, and a looooooooooooot of features thrown in
I love it!!!
On printing (or report generation in databasease).

quant....guess you are eagerly anticipating a decent backend too....
Old 04-16-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
On printing (or report generation in databasease).

quant....guess you are eagerly anticipating a decent backend too....
is it that obvious? ;-)
Old 04-17-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
If focus is in a form field, print/preview will print the form attributes and any rich text in the detail view. [snip]
Ok, so how do I select several items with forms & RTF & print them out in some useful format? Thank you.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Ok, so how do I select several items with forms & RTF & print them out in some useful format? Thank you.
If focus is in another pane, choosing Item Details on the Print/Preview dialog will print the form attributes and any rich text in the detail view (applies to multiple selection as well), or use File | Export -> RTF.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
If focus is in another pane, choosing Item Details on the Print/Preview dialog will print the form attributes and any rich text in the detail view (applies to multiple selection as well), or use File | Export -> RTF.
OK so print works for a single record & Export RTF works for selected items but, as we know, notes are not included. Is that going to change? So let's say user wants to export/import to another program, I guess user would export in CSV -- still w/o notes? IOW, there is no way to export all data in some form. Is that right? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I suggest that Item Details and Item notes should be check boxes (not radio buttons), ie. user can choose whether to print Details and/or Notes ...
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
So let's say user wants to export/import to another program, I guess user would export in CSV -- still w/o notes?
I just did a test export to CSV - my Item Notes exported OK along with the rest of the attributes I selected.

Last edited by $bill; 04-17-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I just did a test export to CSV - my Item Notes exported OK along with the rest of the attributes I selected.
plain text export in the 21st century?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Maybe Kinook can answer this, is there a field length or character limit when exporting to CSV?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: