Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 AM

copying web pages - not

Kinook, I'm wondering if there will be a time in-the-not-so- distant-future when UR will have the ability to replicate a current web page when copying into the db, either entire page or a portion, to include graphics, images, etc.

I ask this because I'm wondering if I should/should not be thinking about integrating a 3rd party web capture program w UR. I'd prefer not to, of course. Thank you.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

That works ok here. For instance, I've attached a screen shot of importing part of this forum post from Firefox v2.0.0.4 into UR Pro v3.1.1.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
That works ok here. For instance, I've attached a screen shot of importing part of this forum post from Firefox v2.0.0.4 into UR Pro v3.1.1.
we know that works when you paste it in a tree
I suppose Janrif meant directly into item text ... or not? I know this is not easy because the underlying file format is rft ... so look forward to times when html items will be editable, and then pasting directly into item text (html page) shouldn't be that hard ...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Kinook, I'm not sure what Quant meant by copying to tree but s/he is correct about copying into detail doc pane.

Sometimes this works when copying an entire page (depending on whether it is secure, etc) if I paste special | html or copy to UR.

The main point/problem for me (& others) is that it is not consistent or maybe I just don't understand the rules.

In any case, I don't have confidence & always have to check to see what I got.

I believe this process can be improved upon & hope it can be done. Thank you.

A loyal UR fan
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
In any case, I don't have confidence & always have to check to see what I got.
I see, you are probably relating to this one ;-)
http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topi...ving-web-pages

Yes, UR has problems with some type of webpages ... the scrapbook rulez
Old 07-17-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
I see, you are probably relating to this one ;-)
http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topi...ving-web-pages

Yes, UR has problems with some type of webpages ... the scrapbook rulez
Yes it does. And what I don't understand is why this can't be done in UltraRecall especially if user can use FF as default browser.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

When pasting into a Text item in UR, the rich MS edit control will use the RTF format (if available) or text (if not RTF) for pasting. It will never use HTML format even if provided. How well this works depends on the RTF data provided by the source application.

When copy/pasting or drag/dropping into the Data Explorer pane (or when importing via the IE and Firefox toolbars, global import hotkey, system tray, etc.), UR will use HTML format if available (and 'Tools | Options | Import | Prefer text/rich text formats' is unchecked). AFAIK, importing in this fashion usually does a decent job of capturing the selected text, images, and formatting (and keywords, icon, etc.). If it doesn't for you, please ZIP and send or post:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) Run RegEdit and export the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall\Options"
3) A .urd file with an item that demonstrates the problem
4) Details on how the item was imported into UR

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
AFAIK, importing in this fashion usually does a decent job of capturing the selected text, images, and formatting (and keywords, icon, etc.).
I think, the main point of starting this thread are different views of what the words usually and decent mean ... and if they could be replaced by some stronger meaning synonyms ;-)
Old 07-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Kinook, I understand what you wrote but -- not to be difficult -- Look @ the difference between what scrapbook does w/o vs what happens when a user clips different kinds of web pages for deposit into UR.

Even w the options set the way you suggest importing from this forum delivered an RTF output. Had I done that w scrapbook, I would have a true reproduction in about 2 seconds.

Same for web research which is IE driven (or Firefox). So I'm sorry, I don't get why this can't be done in UR.

Maybe you don't want to spend the development time on this; that's another story. But I figure if someone can develop a FF *extension* that accomplishes the task, Net Snippets before Web Research managed it, Kinook should be able to manage it too.

End rant. Sorry. Frustrated in Ridgefield.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM

if scrapbook does such a very good job, what about creating a wrapper for it, and just save to UR the html file that scrapbook creates ...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
if scrapbook does such a very good job, what about creating a wrapper for it, and just save to UR the html file that scrapbook creates ...
Quant, if your post was directed to me, I don't know what a 'wrapper' is.

Even if it wasn't directed to me, I'd like to know what a wrapper is. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Quant, if your post was directed to me, I don't know what a 'wrapper' is.

Even if it wasn't directed to me, I'd like to know what a wrapper is. Thanks.
wrapper is a piece of software that you build around another one that are not compatible. We know how to call scrapbook, and we know where it saves the captured website, so the UR extension (wrapper around scrapbook) could do the following after you select piece of website ...

- CTRL+SHIFT+L (call scrapbook to capture selection)
- go to the directory where scrapbook saves pages
- copy the most recent one to UR ...
Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Kinook, I'm assuming you did a select | copy | paste special | html to get your png. (That's what I would/could do) If that isn't correct, what did you do? I ask because this method seems to work only in selected situations.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I selected that part of the page and used the UR Firefox extension's Copy To UR button, but without any selection, that brought in the entire page with correct images and formatting as well.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I selected that part of the page and used the UR Firefox extension's Copy To UR button, but without any selection, that brought in the entire page with correct images and formatting as well.
OK & that works for me too. However, the problem is it only works on selected sites & I, for one, have no way of knowing what those sites are w/o going back to check. Do you have any thoughts on why this is or what, if anything, can be done to improve the situation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: