Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 PM

UR vs VFP/VB/Access/Filemaker

How is UR different than Visual FoxPro, Visual Basic, Delphi, PowerBuilder, Access, Filemaker? It isn't a matter of comparing between an apple and an orange. Rather it's about your personal preference.
From the practical viewpoint, UR is definitely an unrivaled winner, IMHO.
Armstrong
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 AM

I cut my teeth on Alpha Software's Alpha2 v.2 (a dBase derivative) and stayed with the product thru Alpha5 v.4x. It always served me well for developing personal solutions to various database needs.

Unfortunately, I never took it to the next level of application development - once I got a database developed to solve a problem, I started using it to solve the problem, allowing others access to the same solution would've required another level of work (development).

Many of the programs you've mentioned are geared towards Appilcation Development, something that UR may not have been originally envisioned.

I've mentioned this before, and it may just be a personal hurdle, but I've had a very difficult time translating what I learned about data normalization and database structure into UR parlance.

Defining relationships between tables (virtual query) seems to be covered in UR by the parent-child relationship established in the Data Explorer and/or by relationships established in a Search.

But I keep wondering where has Referential Integerity gone, maybe you don't need it in UR.

UR also lacks various Field Rules that are offered in a development package.

What I like about UR is the ability to visualize the data relationship in the Data Explorer, Templates that allow you to impose a level of structure, Forms that help to structure data entry and display, fairly extensive Import/Export capabilities, an active user forum, and the ease of associating other data files to a node.

It is my hope that Kinook will be able to meet more of the needs of those users coming from a database perspective, while keeping the program transparent enough for everyone.

I would like to hear from others as to how they have made the transition, or is UR not that "type" of database program.

Last edited by ashwken; 01-11-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM

I think the main difference is: UR is an application, whereas Visual FoxPro, Visual Basic, Delphi, PowerBuilder, Access, Filemaker are software development tools with which you could, if you wanted, build an application similar to UR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: