Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Can you search your registry for a search phrase that is in the list but not under the QuickSearch registry key? Are you possibly running UR in some compatibility mode (shortcut properties -> Compatibility) that could be causing a registry redirect?
I already searched for unique words and phrases within the registry and, just in case, the appdata folder. This was tried following your suggestion to delete the quick search key. Nothing was found.

I did experiment with some compatibility settings to address display alimonies in my other recent thread. The two settings that were alternately checked and unchecked were "Disable desktop composition" and "Disable visual themes." It is possible I tried "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" at one point, but I cannot be certain. However, all settings have been returned to their default. What do you mean by registry redirect? Wouldn't restoring the settings resolve this? If not, how should I proceed?

Jon
Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Maybe try uninstalling (choosing to delete user customizations), re-downloading, and reinstalling UR. Does the problem occur on multiple machines?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Maybe try uninstalling (choosing to delete user customizations), re-downloading, and reinstalling UR. Does the problem occur on multiple machines?
I am really reluctant to uninstall my customizations. They were developed over time and work really well for me.

There is another clue to this problem. As you can see in my screenshot, I have four custom layouts on a toolbar. The choices listed under Quick Search are different for each layout. Is that by design? Whether I use the menu or a toolbar to go to a layout does not make a difference, they are different.

Jon
Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 AM

Oops. Forgot my screenshot.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Polish
I am really reluctant to uninstall my customizations. They were developed over time and work really well for me.
Try it without deleting customizations, and/or save/restore them.
Quote:
There is another clue to this problem. As you can see in my screenshot, I have four custom layouts on a toolbar. The choices listed under Quick Search are different for each layout. Is that by design? Whether I use the menu or a toolbar to go to a layout does not make a difference, they are different.
That is not by design and I can't reproduce it here. It is truly perplexing.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM

Please forgive me in advance because I am a little upset over this collosal waste of time. I uninstalled completely (cusomizations, registry, etc.) and made certain that there was no trace of UR left on this machine. Reinstalled and opened a database wwith the fresh install (nothing changed from default). No Quick Search entries were present. I decided to replace my settings incrementally and narrow the possibilities. As soon as the appdata directory was replaced, THE ENTRIES RE-APPEARED. To make a long story short, I opened up every layoutx.dat file and guess what? THEY ARE STORED IN THE LAYOUT FILES!

There are two locations where the quick search entries are stored. Layoutx.dat in the appdata directory and the registry. And they are LAYOUT SPECIFIC unless the entry appears in the registry. I think it then can appear across all layouts.

Can this please be fixed?

Thank you.

Jon
Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Please ZIP and post or send the .dat files. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM

Done
Attached Files
File Type: zip ur layout.zip (121.8 KB, 804 views)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Interesting. We'll investigate (a third-party component used by UR appears to be implementing this unexpected behavior, not sure why it only happens for you). For now, you can clear the lists by exiting UR and removing all lines starting with

<Items Count=

from the .dat files.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM

OK, that did it. I hope you can get the Remove All function working as it should.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

This is fixed in the latest download (UltraRecall.exe version 3.5.4.8 in Help | About | Install Info).
Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Confirmed as fixed. THANK YOU!

Jon
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Well, not so fast. The history from the Quick Search disapppears, but I am getting this AV shortly after I clear the history. Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Clear the Quick Search history by going to Tools | Options | Search/Reminders | Remove All. Click OK.

2. Using the menu, cliick on View | Other Windows.

This AV occurs immediately. Initially, it was folllowed by another one, but it has not recurred.

Jon
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Administrator

I wasn't able to reproduce that. Does the problem still occur after restarting UR?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:37 AM

Yes. When I reported this AV, I was able to reproduce it 100% of thhe time. I shut down UR and tried again and could reproduce it almost 100% of the time. I did have some success without any AV, but it was only once or twice. I then restarted my computer and can now replicate the AV about 25% of the time. It seems to occur more reliably when I cycle quickly through Remove All | OK, then click on View | Other Windows. If I take some time after clicking Remove All, it does not seem to happen. This could be coincidental and not definitive.

Jon