Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
It is consistent with the auto-generated keyword behavior. The only difference is that the user-def list includes keywords also defined on other items. And it's simple enough to re-add the keyword to an item if it was removed from all of them.
I understand your point of view. User generated keywords allow me to structure data in supplemental ways. If I want to remove all user keyords assigned to items but retain the structure for future assignments, I can't. Well, I can, but I must use the workaround I mentioned before. That's OK with me, but other users can inadvertently lose a list of keywords without warning and unintentionally.

Just my opinion.

Jon

P.S. My workaround is cumbersome and still prone to failure as it must be updated every time a new user defined keword is added.

Last edited by Jon Polish; 10-16-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 PM

OK - So I stupidly created a keyword starting with an equal sign (=), as in =new results. I was hoping that this would truly limit my searches by enabling me to put the equal sign before the word new in an advanced search.

Doesn't work that way. Maybe = is a wild card?

Anyway, when I do the search for =new results, I get 39 items. I have Ctrl+K'd through each one to uncheck all instances of =new results, and not one of the matched items shows the keyword as checked off.

I can't easily find the one or few items that I set to that keyword phrase. So it just sits there at the top of the keyword list.

I hope I've spelled out my difficulty clearly. If not, let me know and I'll try some more...

====
It would be really helpful to me if one or both of the following suggestions was implemented.

1 - When I show the keyword list dialog let me delete any keyword or keyword phrase from within the dialog and let that decision stand for all items. Let inadvertent removal of a keyword from an item that should have it be my lookout.

2 - Let me see the keywords related to an item without having to open the dialog - preferably exposing them in the main interface. At least this way I could scroll through my infobase and more easily detect the misbegotten item that's causing my difficulty and delete the keyword there.

Of the two, #1 forms my very strong preference.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-20-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse
[B]OK - So I stupidly created a keyword starting with an equal sign (=), as in =new results. I was hoping that this would truly limit my searches by enabling me to put the equal sign before the word new in an advanced search.
for that uses, there is an option in search to limit to user defined keywords only, so you could simply use the keyword new, but this keyword is excluded so you wouldn't find it. But searching for "new" (which would be full search) would do the trick. So you should prefer the user defined keywords that are not excluded (you can modify those that are).

Quote:
[B]OK - So I stupidly created a keyword starting with an equal sign (=), as in =new results. I was hoping that this would truly limit my searches by enabling me to put the equal sign before the word new in an advanced search.

Doesn't work that way. Maybe = is a wild card?

Anyway, when I do the search for =new results, I get 39 items. I have Ctrl+K'd through each one to uncheck all instances of =new results, and not one of the matched items shows the keyword as checked off.

I can't easily find the one or few items that I set to that keyword phrase. So it just sits there at the top of the keyword list.

I hope I've spelled out my difficulty clearly. If not, let me know and I'll try some more...
just search for "new" and set to search only user defined keywords ...
Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 PM

I appreciate the advice quant. But no joy here. Using your ideas, I did find one item that had the "bad" user-defined keyword and unchecked it, but the keyword persists and all searches that I try, including the ones you suggested, turn up hundreds of hits.

Having to visually inspect each one in a retail way, i.e., individually to see if it has the keyword is an exercise in frustration. And were this mission critical instead of just moderately irritating, I'd pay the price.

As it is, I guess I'll just live with being annoyed until such time as I revamp my infobase completely or that Kinook sees things my way about giving me a delete button for user defined keywords in the keyword dialog. (hint hint)

Thanks again.

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 PM

Use a Quick Search with a criteria of "=new results", including the double quotes, which will find the items (you can convert to Advanced to see the "Advanced" equivalent). You can then select them all, and uncheck the user-keyword (which will delete it from the list), if you desire to do so.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the advice quant. But no joy here.
do you include double quotes and only searching in user-defined keywords?
Old 10-21-2007, 04:08 AM

Anyway, there are several things that should be emphasized (as I understand it). This is basically about quick search.

1. keywords are by definition composed only from letters and numbers

2. they are just one word (you will find sth only when you type the first word, without using double quotes)

3. if you define a keyword that is excluded, it won't be indexed

So you broke all three rules, you included =, used two words, and one of them is by default not keyworded (I assume you did not change the default setting).

If you break any of the rules, you have to use the brute force search that is not using the speed of indexed search.

I am a little bit perplexed about point 2 though. Kinook, why is only the first keyword indexed?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:56 PM

THANKS KEVIN!

Hi Kevin -

Yep - that did the trick. Thank you very much.

Now I can at least work with URP3 as it is currently designed. I will post my suggestion in the suggestions area, because I think that we must somehow not be having the same understanding of the overall keywords dialog and I want to argue (pleasantly, of course) my case.

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-21-2007, 01:00 PM

Hi quant,

I didn't originally and that turned out to be the problem.

Now that I understand the usage better, I can use things like the equal sign as a tactic.

The only reason I wanted to use the equal sign in the user keyword list was because doing so bumped the keyword phrase to the top of the keywords list - out of the natural alphanumeric order.

And using double quotes enables searching by keyword phrase just fine.

Onward and upward...

Regards,
Bal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: