Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 PM

Question Search question on GTD implementation?

I'm setting up UR to handle my implementation of GTD. For Projects and Tasks which I cannot act on immediately, I have created a "Actionable Date" attribute. I would like to create searches that will only show items with an actionable date on or before the current date (hiding entries which cannot be addressed until a future date). Is it possible for the search value (actionable date) to be linked to the current date each time I open the saved search, or do I have to manually update the value and refresh the search each day?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Is it possible for the search value (actionable date) to be linked to the current date each time I open the saved search,
YES

or do I have to manually update the value and refresh the search each day?
NO

The key is the box labeled "Store dates relative to current date".

Try an advanced search with the Item/attribute of "Actionable Date", the comparison "less than or equal to", the Value - put a check in the value box with todays date and check the box labeled "Store dates relative to current date".

And if you want to include tasks that don't have an "Actionable Date" set at all you need to add an addition line with OR "Actionable Date" equals and the Value blank (uncheck the box in the value field).

Harder to explain, than to do...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 AM

Thumbs up and vs. or?

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

One other question has sprung up based on this: When I add the "or - Actionable Date - Equals - ______"

The search returns all entries where an actionable date has not been entered regardless of whether it meets all of remaining search criteria (Icon - equals - <task>, etc.). I think I've seen somewhere on this forum that nested searches are possible and I think this is where I need to go, but I'm not sure how to implement.

-Drew
Old 01-16-2007, 08:09 AM

You will need to use "Search Indenting" to group the processing of the 'and/or' evaluations. Indent a row by right clicking on the row and move right.

Try
" Actionable Date <= today"
"or - Actionable Date - Equals - ______"
<indent> and "Icon - equals - <task>"
<indent> and "Category - equal - <Junk>"

For me, understanding the logic of the Criteria Grid, took more than a brief read of the help file.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 AM

Talking thanks!

The search works perfectly now

Reading the help file and this forum has answered a lot of questions, but there is definitely a learning curve. I love how much UR can be tweaked to fit my natural workflow & thought process!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: