Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-12-2006, 05:31 PM

keywords in item using Microsoft word editor

I am using Microsoft Word as the editor for my item pane. When I do so, I find that none of the text that is entered is searchable using UR. I can search within the item pane, but if I am at another level and do a search, UR does not find any of the text that I wrote. The keywords appear to be only in the Data Explorer Title.

How can I get UR to search ALL the text in its database, even the text that has been created using MS Word as the editor?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:54 PM

Hmm, the problem seems to be that when Microsoft Word is hosted in Internet Explorer (such as when it is used as the rtf editor within Ultra Recall) it insists on saving edited rtf content in the .doc format - even though the saved file still has the .rtf extension.

This uncommanded and unexpected data conversion causes multiple problems for Ultra Recall:
1) keyword parsing may find additional keywords or none at all (as it is expecting .rtf content and not .doc content)
2) Switching back to using the internal .rtf editor will result in existing text to no longer be displayed (you can still view the text externally with Item | Document [menu] or Ctrl+J [keyboard]).

Given this until now un-noticed problem (somehow our testing of the feature allowing MS Word to be used internally missed this crucial issue), you are strongly encouraged to stop using Word as the internal .rtf editor, and follow the steps below to convert your text back to the .rtf format (so it is readable by the internal Rich Text editor).

How to use Microsoft Word to revert your rich text content back to the .rtf format:
1) Navigate to any item containing rich text, then use Item | Document / Ctrl+J to externally edit the content (in Microsoft Word) then in Word use File | Save As, choosing Rich Text Format (*.rtf) as the "Save as type" (without changing the file name!).

This issue will certainly be addressed in the next release of Ultra Recall.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:05 PM

Hi.
I have been away and only tried your suggestion today. First off, when I did CTRL-J it gave me the option of editing the text internally or externally. Trouble is, when I clicked on external editing it would not open the file. When I clicked on internal editing it would not let me save the file as an .rtf file.
Am I doing something wrong?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:44 AM

What is the template for the item in question?

Try using Item | Open Document (from the menu in Ultra Recall). This should close the internal copy of Microsoft Word, and open the stored content in an external copy of Microsoft Word. From this external instance of Microsoft Word follow the earlier directions to save the content as .rtf (instead of .doc).
Old 04-26-2006, 10:11 AM

That seems to work. Thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 AM

Earlier you said to stop using word as the internal .rtf editor. Just how do you do that. Whenever I want to edit a document the Word editor pops up automatically.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:25 AM

To stop using Microsoft Word internally within Ultra Recall to edit Text (and derived) items, remove .rtf from the following Options page: Tools | Options | Browser <tab> | File extensions to display in internal browser view:.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: