Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 AM

How Can I Set the UR Window Size?

UR always opens with the same size window. I am currently using a much larger monitor than I was previously and I always expand UR's window to about twice its initial size. I would like to set the default window size to the larger window but I don't know how to accomplish that. I thought that perhaps dragging the window to the preferred size and exiting the program would do this, and it seemed to work at first. Closing and re-opening UR keeps the larger window size, but only for that Windows session. As soon as I restart my computer UR is back to the smaller window size.

Some programs have an INI or DAT file that stores the setup data, like MRU's and such. These often have the window size, but I cannot find that in UR. I most often use Layout 1 and the DAT file for Layout 1 has a lot of positioning data for CommandBars but I can't find anything in their that appears to define the default window size.

Kinook, can you tell me where and/or how I can set the default window size for UR? If it is a registry key I have no qualms about editing the registry.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

The UR window size and position is stored in the registry value WindowPos under the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall\Layouts\Summary

It's a binary value, so you can't easily edit it directly, but if you exit UR, then export that registry key, you can re-import it using a command like

regedit /s c:\path\to\exported.reg

before starting UR.

Although it's odd that the last position and size are not retained when restarting. Maybe shutting down is terminating UR before it can save the position?
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
The UR window size and position is stored in the registry value WindowPos under the key

It's a binary value, so you can't easily edit it directly, but if you exit UR, then export that registry key, you can re-import it using a command like

before starting UR.

Although it's odd that the last position and size are not retained when restarting. Maybe shutting down is terminating UR before it can save the position?
I don't know why it is not saving it, but it isn't. I'll give the registry key a try.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:

before starting UR.

Hey, I finally got time to take a look at this registry key and you are correct in that it will not be that easy to edit the binary value; I'm not certain how to correlate the binary code with screen position. I guess I was thinking that I would see some pixel values, x and y points, etc. Even if I were to export the key for editing, what would I then use to perform the edits? And I don't know if I could convert the binary to something a little more edit-friendly or not.

Without a little better knowledge I'm reluctant to make any changes just yet.

I imagine that the registry keys in this directory correspond to values shown in the LayoutX.dat files contained in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall\. True? Since I use Layout 1 almost all the time that is the layout that I would want to reset, so that would be Layout1.dat. However that file has position info for each element that makes up the Layout. Is there a setting there that contains the position for the whole Layout 1 window? If so, which "Bar" is it?

Since resetting the window size manually works temporarily, I currently resize it manually every time Ultra Recall starts. But I really would like it to stay that way! Here is what I do now:
  1. Since the UR window initially opens near the top left of my screen, I simply grab the bottom right corner of the window and drag it toward the lower right corner of the screen.
  2. Then I immediately click File>Exit and quit Ultra Recall.
  3. Next I open Ultra Recall immediately and the window is the same larger size that I dragged it to. Great!
  4. But after Windows is restarted Ultra Recall usually opens in the smaller window once again. Occasionally it retains the larger window size that I dragged it to, but that only lasts at most through two or three restarts and then eventually reverts back to the smaller size again.

It is unusual how it sometimes retains the larger size but then reverts back after a few Windows shutdowns and startups or restarts. I rarely - actually almost never - close Ultra Recall manually. I have Ultra Recall configured to start with Windows and after running my computer for the day I close out the applications that are open, meaning they have open visible windows, and then I click on Start>Turn Off Computer>Restart. Thus the programs that are either running background processes or simply minimized to the system tray are closed by means of Windows sending them "Close" or "Quit" calls.

Since this problem started I had intended to always close Ultra Recall manually but unfortunately - since it is hidden away nicely in the systray - I usually forget! Thus my applications that reside in the systray are all closed in that manner: Ultra Recall, Surfulater, SnagIt, Linkman, NOD32, ClipMate, etc. None of those seem to have any issues because of this - at least not that I have noticed. I am thinking that Ultra Recall must have a setting somewhere that retains that initial window size always. The resized window size must be stored as a temp setting somehow, but the smaller dimensions have to be stored as the ultimate default because Ultra Recall always seems to remember them at some point!

So are my only options to either get that registry key edited somehow or remember to never allow Windows to close Ultra Recall?

Thanks! I really appreciate your help with this.

Jim
Old 03-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Did you try exporting that registry key after exiting UR (when it does save the position properly), then re-import it before UR starts, for instance, use a shortcut to a batch file with commands like:

start ultrarecall
Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Did you try exporting that registry key after exiting UR (when it does save the position properly), then re-import it before UR starts, for instance, use a shortcut to a batch file with commands like:

start ultrarecall
Oh - OK, I'll try that. I misunderstood you when you first posted that; I thought that I had to edit the key first before re-importing it. So it must take whatever the current position/size is and apply that to the key. Let me try it.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 04-16-2009, 11:07 PM

I never did post back about this issue.

When I export that registry key and then re-register it while Ultra Recall is closed, Ultra Recall does indeed open to the size that I last dragged it to. However after the next reboot of my computer Ultra Recall reverts back to the smaller window size again.

The initial window size that Ultra Recall is opening with by default is 1440 X 854, which sounds pretty large until you view it on a 24" widescreen monitor running at a resolution of 1920 X 1200. Even then it is not overly tiny. But since I am using such a large monitor I always drag the UR window to about 1800 X 1100.

It's not that big a deal - no crisis or anything. I can just continue to drag the window corner to a larger size each time Ultra Recall starts. But I think this means that the default size is contained somewhere other than the registry key you mentioned. Must be or the window wouldn't be reverting back like this. I was thinking that the installer package for Ultra Recall might be determining the size based on the monitor size that it sees upon installation. I have installed two later builds since I got the larger monitor and it didn't help. But then again installing an update does not reset the settings. I could try a complete uninstall/reinstall to see if the default size changes, but I will have to wait until I have time to reset all my settings. Might be a while!

Thank you.

Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Did you try exporting that registry key after exiting UR (when it does save the position properly) and creating a batch file (i.e. UR.bat) with commands like:

start ultrarecall

to start UR (disable the auto-start option in UR [also make sure minimize at startup is unchecked] and place a shortcut to the batch file in the Windows Start Menu Startup folder)?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi Jim:

I wonder if your problem is related to my issue (as yet unresolved except through a work-around). See http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=4003

I looked at my LAYOUTx.DAT files and wonder if your settings are stored there.

Jon
Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Did you try exporting that registry key after exiting UR (when it does save the position properly) and creating a batch file (i.e. UR.bat) with commands like:

start ultrarecall

to start UR (disable the auto-start option in UR [also make sure minimize at startup is unchecked] and place a shortcut to the batch file in the Windows Start Menu Startup folder)?
No, I did not create a batch file. I've never done that and was concerned that I'd mess something up if I created it incorrectly.

I just exported the Summary registry key to the My Documents folder after dragging the window to the desired size. Then I exited UR. I then double-clicked the exported key before starting UR the next time.

I understand now what you are saying to do - to be honest I did not understand before that you wanted me to put a batch file in the startup folder instead of the UR shortcut. I am still unsure how to do that but I will give it a try - backing up the registry first!

Thank you.

Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Polish
Hi Jim:

I wonder if your problem is related to my issue (as yet unresolved except through a work-around). See http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=4003

I looked at my LAYOUTx.DAT files and wonder if your settings are stored there.

Jon
Jon, if you read my posts above you'll see I asked about that file and Kinook said no, that it is the registry key. I cannot find specific language that sets the position of the window in the Layout1.DAT file. I even tried Ctrl+F and searched for the dimensions of the window and the positions of all four corners of the window, but I don't find them in the DAT file.

Do you know much about window sizes stated in the DAT files?

Thanks!

Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Jim:

I don't know enough about the window sizes as they would be stored in a DAT file. Kinook seemed surprised that the quick search information appeared there and was layout specific.

A suggestion. Why not temporarily remove or re-name these files while UR is closed. Start up UR and see what happens. If the window sizes are different than before and / or if you can re-size them and have them stick, you have your answer. If you have some customizations you can always return to your saved DAT files until Kinook can sort this out.

I'm curious too. Please let us know what happens.

Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: