Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-24-2009, 11:23 PM

How to Access Quick Search?

A simple question, I know. However I cannot currently access Quick Search in URp. I am using V. 4.1.0.4. I have the "My Searches" pane auto-docked at the left side of my Data Explorer. I can expand that pane and use the advanced searches easily enough, but right now that is the only way I can search.

Quick Search does not appear either by using the Ctrl+Shft+F shortcut nor by using Edit>Search. All I get is the default Windows beep sound when I try.

I can't even get to Quick Search by clicking on the Quick Search link that appears in the Main window when I click on My Searches. Clicking on that gets me the beep sound also.

Searching the forum I did find a thread from 2007 where both quant and $Bill tried explaining how to perform Quick Searches within a focused sibling by creating a Search Info Item in the Data Explorer. Is that required? Should I first create a Search Info Item?

Sorry for the question about a subject that should be a very simple one to figure out - I haven't ever asked about this to date because it seems so lame to not be able to find the doggone Quick Search - it seemed to have gone missing about the time I upgraded to V.4 or maybe even earlier.

Thanks for any help with this!

Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 11:45 AM

Do you mean you lose the entire search toolbar? Have you tried Compact & Repair...?
Armstrong
Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
Do you mean you lose the entire search toolbar? Have you tried Compact & Repair...?
Armstrong
No - I have the search toolbar. But back when I first got Ultra Recall Pro, about a year and a half ago, using Ctrl+Shft+f or Edit>Search would cause the quick search pane to show in the Items Details pane - the main pane which also serves as the internal browser window, form viewer, etc. It still shows that in the Help file (which is hopefully shown in the image below).

That no longer occurs. What happens when you use the Ctrl+Shft+f shortcut or use Edit>Search on the menu bar?

Thanks!

Jim
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2009, 12:36 PM

Hi Jim,
Perhaps you've remapped your keyboard shortcuts accidentally. Ctrl+Shift+F still works fine here exactly as described by you. Please remap your keyboard shortcut again. Hope it helps.
Armstrong
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Ahh... You know, I definitely did not remap the shortcut, but this has happened to me in the past. Some applications just force their own keyboard shortcuts and overwrite whatever they were previously, rather than look for "open" available shortcuts.

Of course there is no way to see what program currently "owns" a shortcut other than trial and error.

I'll have to do some work to find it and fix it. Unless Ultra Recall has an option to set shortcuts; if so I'll just overwrite whatever stole it from URp and wait for it to squeal!

Good call! I should have considered that right away. Must be dull-witted this week!

Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 PM

It isn't the shortcut that's the problem. If I type a word into the search box on the Search toolbar and press enter, nothing happens. Or if I click on the magnifying glass in the search box - nothing at all.

Something just isn't working here in URp. I guess I am going to have to submit a support ticket.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 07:10 PM

Try Compact and Repair.
Does the problem persist?
If yes,
1. Press Ctrl+N to create a new URD;
2. Copy one or two root folders from the old URD in question to the new URD.
Does the problem recur?

Armstrong
Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
Try Compact and Repair.
Does the problem persist?
If yes,
1. Press Ctrl+N to create a new URD;
2. Copy one or two root folders from the old URD in question to the new URD.
Does the problem recur?

Armstrong
Created the new URD and quick search worked perfectly. So I did as you suggested and copied over each root folder, testing the quick search after each one - it worked every time and is still working fine. So now I have a virtual duplicate of my original URD and while the original still can't access quick search, the dupe does it every time.

So I am now exporting the contents of the duped URD, just for a working backup, so to speak. Then I guess I'll rename the original, then the dupe, and then make this dupe my working DB. Really weird, though. I figured that after one of the copied folders the new URD would inherit the same problem, but it never did. Wonder what could have caused the issue in the first place? There's certainly nothing exotic in my URD, and I haven't had URp crash or anything that you would think might serve to irreparably corrupt the DB.

So I'll just continue on and hope for the best this time.

Thanks for all your help!

Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 PM

One last thought: I have about 400 contacts in this URD that are synced with Outlook 2003. Now Outlook 2003 has given me some problems over the last six months or so - occasionally Outlook closes right after opening. I performed a repair installation, then reinstalled OFFice - it still gets weird now and then, leading me to suspect a somewhat corrupted PST. The original URD that the quick search stopped working in was synchronizing with Outlook - contacts only. I guess that could have some effect on the URD.

So now I did copy all those contacts into the new, duplicated URD. If it is the Outlook PST that is causing the problem, then this URD will likely become corrupted again after I start synchronizing the contacts. Can I de-link the contacts from Outlook? IOW, just leave an independent copy in this URD that doesn't sync at all? If so I'll do that.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 PM

Jim,
Of course, I'm delighted by your success to solve the mystery.
If a URD is corrupt, Compact & Repair... won't help.
My luck of inventing the solution is my extensive experience in URD corruption. For instance, after duplicating an exact copy of a URD, I delete most folders and info items in the new URD. Then, I ran Compact & Repair..., the new URD remains to be 44MB. Instead, I followed the steps I mentioned above, the resultant URD file size is 205KB! I realize that Compact & Repair... is no panacea to URD corruption.

Whenever the integrity of the URD is in doubt, don't duplicate. Create a new URD. It's not tedious to manually copy root folders from the old URD to the new one. Definitely, it's safe.

BTW, URD corruption can likely occur if the FTS conversion is interrupted midway. Sometimes, you must interrupt the FTS conversion because the FTS hang indefinitely and the CPU usage exceed 40% for 30 minutes.

As to Outlook contacts, I would rather resync with the Outlook into another newly created Folder. After you gain confidence in no data loss, you may delete the old Contact Folder.

Just my 2 cents.

Armstrong
Old 10-25-2009, 11:27 PM

I know I said "duplicate" in my post but I misspoke; I actually did just what you suggested and created a new URD, then copied over each folder. Didn't take me long at all. Of course my URD isn't quite as large as some folks - yet!

Hey, what should I do with the corrupted URD now? If I delete it - or delete folders one by one to see if I find where the corruption crept in - what will Outlook do to my contacts? IOW, how do I delete the contacts in URp without affecting Outlook?

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
[i]Hey, what should I do with the corrupted URD now? If I delete it - or delete folders one by one to see if I find where the corruption crept in - what will Outlook do to my contacts? IOW, how do I delete the contacts in URp without affecting Outlook?[/B]
Hi Jim,
For the corrupted URD, I would rather leave a reminder in Outlook and/or UR (Ctrl+Shift+R) to delete it 2 weeks later just in case I might need it.
As to deleting contacts in UR, definitely I would leave the checkbox empty.
Hope it helps.
Armstrong
Attached Images

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: