Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 03-13-2009, 06:22 PM

Favorites toolbar with text instead of icons

I would like to have the option for the favorites toolbar to display text (the name of each favorite item or, even better, any text I like) instead of (or next to) the item icon.

When I work with UR I want at any time to overlook all the projects I am working on. This could be done with the favorites toolbar and a favorite for each project. The only problem (especially with many projects) is that one has to guess or remember which icon stands for which project because one cannot see the names of the projects.

What I mean can be illustrated with the attached screenshot of The Journal. In The Journal you can create a "category" for each project which is then displayed as a (always visible) tab. Each category has its own tree (on the left pane). Categories can even have subcategories with their own trees and thus be nested. As far as I know this is unique to The Journal and allows for an unprecedented level of organization of large files with many projects. With hoisting and the favorites toolbar displaying text instead of items one could in UR achieve the same effect as with The Journal: One always sees all one's projects on the favorites toolbar and clicking on a project would (via hoisting) display only the tree of the chosen project.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2009, 01:14 PM

I like UR because it gives me the versatility to view and to deal with my data in many different ways, so I don't want to talk you out of your suggestion.

Because you used a screenshot of The Journal to illustrate your request, I wondered if you appreciated that you can have that same view of projects in UR. I have illustrated in the screen shot below-Projects and nested sub-projects, displayed in its own tree and organized by project in tabs (hoisted) which persist between database sessions. That said (and illustrated), perhaps some of the tab enhancements that have been suggested-like the ability to freeze the tag's title, position, and persistence would make this method more useful.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 PM

I don't think that your solution achieves the same effect as The Journal because as soon as you start working with your projects and open subitems of the various projects the tabs display the name of the subitems and not the names of the projects. So, again, one has to remember which tab belongs to which project. This becomes worse if you work on two projects and want to open e. g. two tabs within project 1 and two tabs within project 3. The list of tabs then gets rather messy. So I still think the cleanest solution would be to have an always visible favorites toolbar displaying the name of each project (instead of showing the icons only).

There is yet another advantage of having text instead of icons in the favorites toolbar: I have some searches which I often need. At the moment the favorites toolbar displays only e.g. three times the same search icon and I have to remember which icon corresponds to which search. It would be much clearer if I could see the name of each search on the toolbar.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:21 PM

just click on the Favorites Menu where the favorites items have text ...

But your suggestion is good, there should be an option icon/text/icon+text
Old 08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

UR Pro v4, two tab enhancements are available on the Tab menu:
1) Lock tab title: Locks the tab's title to be the title of the selected item (select menu item again to unlock). While locked, the tab title will not change when selecting other items in that tab.
2) Go to locked item: Selects the item whose title this tab was last locked to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: