Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 05-18-2006, 07:11 AM

File Viewing options

I am a little confused by the internal file viewing options. An attraction of UR is linking and syncing UR with directories of external files.

I have added .doc;.pdf;.ppt;.xls to the file extensions for displaying using the internal viewer as I want to be able to browse the file contents from within UR. However, even on a 3.2Ghz with 2GB RAM, this approach can be a bit sluggish.

Is there a faster option. I am not overally concerned about editing the document, but I do want to be able to quickly skim through the document contents.

Thanks,

Graham
Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Administrator

That is the only way to view such document types within UR. It seems odd that it would be slow. It's actually an embedded instance of IE (which in turn hosts the application that displays that file type) that is doing the work to display the document. What version/SP of Windows are you running? Do such document types opening in a regular IE browser have the same problem?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Its WIN XP SP2, its not fantastically slow, and I'm not sure how it compares with opening directly in IE as that is something I'm not aware of doing, except in UR.

If there had been an alternative way of viewing then I would have given it a go. For example DTSearch allows you a text viewing option that allows you to instantly jump through a list of files reading the text before selecting one to open in Acrobat.

FileNotes which uses Acrobat for viewing is also noticeably quicker than UR when viewing an Acrobat file.

As I say, not a major problem but if there had been a faster option, such as text or the option to use a fast third party viewer such as FMView, then I would have givern it a try.

Thanks for the reply,

Graham
Old 05-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator

It wouldn't be too difficult to show the document text (for file types UR can parse) in the Item Details pane for file types that a viewer is not configured for. This would probably be quicker in most cases, although you could lose a lot of formatting. We'll consider this for a future release.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:20 PM

Thanks, most of the time I just want to see what is in the file and not too concerned about formatting, so that could well be a solution.

Graham
Old 05-19-2006, 06:08 PM

Related broadly to this point, would you consider a KB cap on automatic preview. By default, if it's smaller than a user defined limit (say 250KB), show it in the browser. If larger, then force the user to click on the "click here to edit stored document" link.

Contentsaver allows this--by default it does not load up large documents unless the user clicks.

Thx.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: