Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 AM

What's the correct way to deal with a linked folder

I came across this when trying to use UR to handle a folder-full of emails created with Windows Mail, but I imagine it'd be the same basic issue whatever was in the folder.

I go to the folder in Explorer, right-click and choose "Send to Ultra recall (link)". Now I can add keywords, due dates and reminders to these files, which would be hugely useful for emails.

But then - outside UR - I delete some of the files. They don't disappear from UR; they're still there, but clicking on them gives 'access violation' errors. I think 'maybe it refreshes the listing when it loads the database,' and close UR. Next day, seeing all the non-existent files still listed, I remember ctrl+F5. This says it's synchronising the folder, but in the end it only gives me another error message (sorry I didn't make a note of it, something about RTT, or was that RTTT?).

I gave up and deleted the folder. But surely this isn't what's meant to happen, and something's gone wrong here? It must be possible to link to a folder in UR, and still remove files from it outside UR?

It occurs to me this might be a particular problem to do with how Windows Mail creates and manages its email folders. If that's the case, can someone tell me how UR integrates with Thunderbird, and what's possible there?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

The quickest way to delete a synced file from UR and the file system is to permanently delete in UR (Shift+Del) and check the 'Also delete any synchronized Outlook objects or external files' checkbox.

If the synced file was already deleted externally, and you should be able to select (or right-click) and delete from UR manually.

As far as errors selecting items in UR when the synced file was deleted externally, please ZIP and send to support@kinook.com:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) A .urd file with an item that demonstrates the problem

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the swift response.

Three questions:

Isn't there a way to have UR update its file listing when one is deleted outside UR?

Where is the 'also delete... external files' checkbox?

Where/how can I find out more about UR's integration with Thunderbird?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
Where is the 'also delete... external files' checkbox?
This checkbox is present in the dialog that is shown to confirm the Shift-Del action, please be aware that once you check-it it is persistent until unchecked.

I'm afraid I can't help with your other questions.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM

Red face

The information on UltraRecall and Thunderbird is in the help file... I just needed to a) open it and b) search for 'Thunderbird'.

*blush*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: